XR 600 Stalling

5 replies to this topic
  • Dan F

Posted August 08, 2006 - 09:22 AM

'98 stalls after an hour or so of trail riding Won't start unless I pull the spark plug and clean it and clear the engine. Plug is black, full of carbon. Not sure if this is a fuel problem (too rich) or ignition. Usually happens when running low rpms, seems like it's loading up???

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 08, 2006 - 09:34 AM

Ok here you go, it IS jetting. Drop a size on the pilot jet, do the same for the main, raise the clip on the needle two positions, and try it again, I will bet youll have no more fouling problems, and th ebike will have more power and start easier when hot. Also, this is a starting point, a baseline so you may have to tweak a little also. Also turn the pilot air acrew all the way in then back it out 1 3/4 to 2 turns too.

• Dan F

Posted August 08, 2006 - 01:26 PM

Thanks! How do I determine the size of the jets in there now? Are they marked?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted August 08, 2006 - 01:51 PM

The jets have little numbers stamped into them. Some are on the face and others are on the side.

Unless the bike has been moved to high altitude or something, I kind of doubt the jetting. Is the bike new to you? If the bike was fine before and just started doing this, then it is most likely not the jets. I have had jets come loose and kill the engine. I would look into the float and the float valve. They can fail in such a way that they let way too much gas into the carb. The gas level gets too high, the bike runs rich, and if it's bad enough kills the engine. If that happens gas usually runs out of the carb overflow.

If everything looks OK with the carb, the problem may be the stator. Mine failed in much the same way. OK when cold, but bad when hot. It never failed completely. It just put out less juice so the spark got real feeble. I ended up rewinding mine. Fixed the problem.

When you are looking at the carb, take a real close look at the choke plate. They are known to break off and get sucked through the engine, with expensive results. There are aftermarket plates available. I just removed my choke completely.

• Dan F

Posted August 08, 2006 - 06:18 PM

The jets have little numbers stamped into them. Some are on the face and others are on the side.

Unless the bike has been moved to high altitude or something, I kind of doubt the jetting. Is the bike new to you? If the bike was fine before and just started doing this, then it is most likely not the jets. I have had jets come loose and kill the engine. I would look into the float and the float valve. They can fail in such a way that they let way too much gas into the carb. The gas level gets too high, the bike runs rich, and if it's bad enough kills the engine. If that happens gas usually runs out of the carb overflow.

If everything looks OK with the carb, the problem may be the stator. Mine failed in much the same way. OK when cold, but bad when hot. It never failed completely. It just put out less juice so the spark got real feeble. I ended up rewinding mine. Fixed the problem.

When you are looking at the carb, take a real close look at the choke plate. They are known to break off and get sucked through the engine, with expensive results. There are aftermarket plates available. I just removed my choke completely.

Cleonard, thanks to you and others I already fixed the choke plate problem.
Any way to test if the stator is bad or going bad? Also, any tips on rewinding one?

• cleonard

Posted August 09, 2006 - 01:38 PM

Cleonard, thanks to you and others I already fixed the choke plate problem.
Any way to test if the stator is bad or going bad? Also, any tips on rewinding one?

Mine never went completely out. When hot, the bike would sometimes run poorly at low revs and became difficult to start. I never really did much about it until one time when I crashed pretty hard. After the crash I could not start the bike. I think that due to the crash I wasn't kicking it quite as hard. No matter what I did I could not start it. I ended up taking the plug out and kicked it while looking for spark. The spark was very wimpy. After that I tried to push start it and was successful. Back at home, I checked the resistance of the coil and it was OK when cold. It also made a much better spark. Then I ran it some and the resistance was still within the specified range. However, the spark was wimpy. I decided to rewind it. Afterwards, the spark was big and bright compared to before.

Do a search on my posts using "stator." I have described the procedure a few times before. I also mentioned a site that described it pretty well and had pictures.

Since I don't 100% trust my rewinding job, I carry a small 12 volt AC "wall wart" transformer for an emergency. It boosts the lighting voltage to operate the ignition, so I can get back to the truck if my rewind fails.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.