Can steel valves be used on the 426

14 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted August 08, 2006 - 04:09 AM

I'm probably looking at a top-end job on my '02 YZ426 soon and one of the big cost items I'm told are those ti valves @ $100/ea. Can they be replaced with steel valves or any other type that's cheaper. Also what are some figures I can expect for the whole job, done at a shop charging 60./hr. :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted August 08, 2006 - 06:09 AM

mark, stainless valves are heavier therefore you will lose some topend rev,you will also have to go with heavier springs which will also put more wear/drag on the rest of the valvetrain. but i guess..... you know your getting older and now the ball and chain thing :ride: you probly won't miss the rev's anyhow :applause: try ericgorr.com they list the prices and he is quite reputable :thumbsup:

• SUnruh

Posted August 08, 2006 - 08:32 AM

goose,
TT OEM shop has them for a *LOT* less.

the 98 and 99 had stainless valves.
a friend of mine had a 98wr400f with 24,600 miles on it. never opened it up.
was completely untouched. he owned it till early 05 i think.

• grayracer513

Posted August 08, 2006 - 09:43 AM

The 2000 model 426 was delivered with stainless valves, and were reliable in the extreme. I believe you can use the '00 valves and springs in the '01/'02 head, but I am not certain of it. Someone who could probably answer that would be Ron Hamp. Check TT OEM to see if they carry parts for the 426. If they do, the savings are very significant.

OEM Ti valves in the big YZF's last a very, very long time when they are properly installed on refinished seats in properly fitting guides. An almost, no, truly, incredible amount of time. There is no reason to be afraid of them.

• Goosedog

Posted August 09, 2006 - 03:35 AM

but i guess..... you know your getting older and now the ball and chain thing :thumbsup: you probly won't miss the rev's anyhow :ride:

You really do want me to go to the next hare scramble with ya don't cha. :applause:

• Goosedog

Posted August 09, 2006 - 03:37 AM

OEM Ti valves in the big YZF's last a very, very long time when they are properly installed on refinished seats in properly fitting guides. An almost, no, truly, incredible amount of time. There is no reason to be afraid of them.

I'm not leary of them just wanted to keep the bebuild cost down. Looks like I've been sucking in dirt somehow and the top-end has paid the price. :thumbsup:

• mike_dean

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:08 PM

Kibble-White makes stainless valves for all the late MX bikes for much less, and you can get spring kits also, I would never put titanium valves in any of my bikes. My riding buddy put kibble White valves and springs in his 03 crf450 after the original valves went out in 1 year, he is still riding the bike hard works excellent and NO POWER LOSS, I challenge anybody to tell me they can feel the any power loss or less rev. Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:27 PM

There are two things wrong with Kibblewhites that I know of. First, the valves are indeed much less expensive, but the required spring kit (needed for the heavier weight of the valves) is over $200 by itself, which nearly makes it a wash at retail, and TT OEM can get you OEM Ti valves at so much less than retail that the stock stuff is usually cheaper than the best price you can get on KW's.

The other problem is more serious. Several users had some major customer service issues with KW, and I do not know whether they were ever straightened out or not, but Bryan Bosch had an open letter to Kibblewhite posted on this forum demanding a response to their, and his, unanswered calls for assistance.

I'd recommend asking Bryan if that situation has been ameliorated before doing any business with them. I don't remember seeing an announcement as to a resolution, and I think he would have put one up. The TT store apparently still sells them, though. Check.

Ron Hamp uses a company called Ferria, I believe, which actually went to the extent of replacing failed Kibblewhite valves for free, as if it were under his warranty to do so. Sounds like a stand up sort of guy.

• SUnruh

Posted August 10, 2006 - 04:39 AM

the actual name of the company is Ferrea.
http://www.ferrea.com/
i've used them.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the correction, Steve.. :thumbsup:

• SUnruh

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:29 AM

sure.

ferrea makes top quality parts. that was proven with an 04rmz250 after having multiple valves in my buddies bike get chewed up in no time. at my urging, he had ferrea make him 4 new (2 intake, 2 exhaust) valves for a great price (under 130 i think). they did it in less time than what we were told. those valves still haven't moved in that motor and it gets run hard in tccra.
:thumbsup: to ferrea

• glasseye

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:32 AM

I had 2 of them break. 1st one on the head as shipped from Yamaha, 2nd one on a head rebuilt by one of the best head shops in the USA. I am afraid! That's why I'm back on 2-strokes.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2006 - 02:11 PM

sure.

ferrea makes top quality parts.

If you peruse the CRF forums, you'll see several testimonials to that fact, too. Outststanding product.

I had 2 of them break.

Since I find the statement that, "The Yamaha Gods don't like you", to be a little too incredible, I can only assume that you have some sort of perverse talent not possessed by most of us. That or some really, really bad luck. :thumbsup:

• SUnruh

Posted August 10, 2006 - 06:11 PM

gray,
the yammies can have a problem
if they valves are left untouch until they wear out from lack of valve lash, they pinch the valve face off.
motor goes boom.
2k bill to fix.
i've seen 3 yz250f's in the last 6 years do it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2006 - 10:54 PM

the yammies can have a problem
if they valves are left untouch until they wear out from lack of valve lash, they pinch the valve face off.

Very true. If allowed to wear deep into the face, even if re-shimmed repeatedly, any non-uniformity of the face wear can cause the valve to scrub and twist as it seats, and that can eventually break the stem off. But the way glasseye phrased his statement gave me the impression that the valves he broke were "younger" than that. I mean, how would he have time to wear out an entirely new head after he wore out the first one? Maybe not, though, just an assumption on my part. Maybe he rides a lot of 200 milers.

But the problem you bring up is why I and others recommend not using a valve that's been adjusted more than .20mm total any longer than you have to.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.