Yz400 or 426??

8 replies to this topic
  • gulley04

Posted August 08, 2006 - 03:05 AM

I am very interested in selling my yz250 and going to preferrably a 98' yzf400 or just a 400 or 426. Is this smart :applause: . Im lookin for a woods bike that doesnt need much maint., reliable but still has torque out the ass :applause: . Do these bikes fit that description? Are there any common problems with these bikes and how long do they go before they need a top end :ride: . Again im using this for woods riding and im very easy on the bikes and keep up the maint. very well :thumbsup: . Is this a very dependable bike? I need a dependable bike that will last me a while :applause: . I know this is alot of questions but im very serious about it. :applause: I have found a 02' yz426f for $1650. Was this a good year for em? And does anyone know of any for sale?? or possibly selling theres :applause: Thanks!!

• motobeck

Posted August 08, 2006 - 04:17 AM

If the 426 is in good condition for that price... jump on it!!! I'm selling mine, but I won't take less than $2200. It will make a great bike for the riding you are doing, but you might want to consder a fly wheel weight. You won't have any maintenace issues... the 426 is bullit proof.

• quailboy

Posted August 08, 2006 - 06:07 AM

these are both very dependable bikes. i was out on a ride and dumped my mine 4 times hard and i picked it up and kicked it once and it started right up every time. as for that 02 426 then if is in good condidtion that is a great deal. and with woods riding you will want a flywheel weight. good luck

• Dano426

Posted August 08, 2006 - 07:31 AM

I am very interested in selling my yz250 and going to preferrably a 98' yzf400 or just a 400 or 426. Is this smart :thumbsup: . Im lookin for a woods bike that doesnt need much maint., reliable

YZF 400-426 are dependable bikes, but they will need just as much maintance as a yz250. YZF oil needs to be changed every 5 - 10 hours and you will need to check the valves every 20- 30 hours. You are thinking of selling an MX bike for an MX bike??? You will need to make the same mods to a YZF as you would to an YZ not to mention the wieght of a YZ400 will feel like a tank in the woods. Do the mods to the YZ250 - large tank, skid plate, spark arrestor and ride that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gulley04

Posted August 08, 2006 - 04:17 PM

YZF 400-426 are dependable bikes, but they will need just as much maintance as a yz250. YZF oil needs to be changed every 5 - 10 hours and you will need to check the valves every 20- 30 hours. You are thinking of selling an MX bike for an MX bike??? You will need to make the same mods to a YZF as you would to an YZ not to mention the wieght of a YZ400 will feel like a tank in the woods. Do the mods to the YZ250 - large tank, skid plate, spark arrestor and ride that.

Yes my bike doesnt run consistently, it will run fine one moment but i cant trust it to start when i need it to. It runs like a on/off switch. Plus parts are much harder to find. and are not as interchangeable as the yzf's. I was just exploring my options and wanted to see some feedback. Thanks!

• 2tall2tall

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:56 AM

I have both a 2000 WR400 and a 2002 WR 426. They are both some of the most reliable bikes I have ever owned. My 2000 WR400 has almost 10,000 miles of nasty, rocky single track and has needed very little maintenance and no major components. I change the oil every other ride and I use Mobil 1 15/50 automotive oil and the Scotts oil filter. The timing on both bikes is to YZ specs, front sprocket is 13 teeth, and both have Race Tech suspension. Hope this helps you in your decision. :thumbsup:

• skwerlee

Posted August 11, 2006 - 10:16 AM

If your gonna' do a bunch of slow woods riding on a 426 I would recommend you upgrade the cooling system. These bad boys get hot very quickly if you don't have a bunch of air moving through the radiators...

• yzfrider03

Posted August 11, 2006 - 11:20 AM

Yes it needs oil changes when it gets dirty, not every ride like of these poeple do, i think that is nutts...i own a 02 YZF426 since new. i have countess hours on it. I change the oil about once a month, depending on how much riding i do. Dune trips are ususally everyother, but anyways these bikes are bad-ass i have never needed a shim, but i have checked many times. If it starts hard then you might want to check for clearances. These bikes are bulleteproof. I live right next to a riding area and am usually outthere every weekend at least for acouple hours(since new). So that gives you an idea of how much i ride this thing. It may "feel" heavier than YZ250 at first, but dont worry its just feeling, rail thing and all it wants is more. Only thing i had to replace was my clutch becuase i was clutching up comp hill. PM me if you want anymore info.

• yzfrider03

Posted August 11, 2006 - 11:21 AM

By the way the 02 is the best year for the 426.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.