Haters...

28 replies to this topic
  • DualSport650

Posted August 07, 2006 - 11:03 PM

Why do people hate the Honda XR650R? :ride:

I don't mean HATE really, but it seems nobody wants one! :applause:

Everyone I know who has decided to get a new or used bike will NOT buy a BRP.

For example, they'll go out and buy a Suzuki DRZ400s that's just as heavy, with WAY LESS POWER. :applause:

Or they'll go out and buy a KTM 450/525 WR450 or a CRF450X (very nice bikes), but they won't even give the Honda XR650R a second thought.

Why the F#$% is that???

I don't know about you fellow BRP riders, but I think the BRP is ONE KICK ASS RIDE! :thumbsup:

* Beaucoup horsepower and arm-pulling torque
* Reliable as an anvil - just change the oil and filters and adjust the valves
* Handles great
* Great bike to dualsport
* Etc, etc, etc.

Well, I'm NOT A HATER. I'm keepin' mine for a LONG TIME... :applause:

http://www.moto-guide.com/images/road-370-stream-crossing-thumb.jpg

http://www.moto-guide.com/images/vcgp2006-32t.jpg

Let's hear it for the Honda XR650R!!! :applause:

• Huffa 2

Posted August 08, 2006 - 02:07 AM

That just can't be, because I see them for sale all the time on ebay and found almost a dozen just by surfing the net.

Interesting to note that at least 50% of them had the street legal kits on them and Honda should be taking note of that I hope.

I would think with out a doubt they are way more popular the farther west you go as they just don't cut it if you want them for tight east coast trails.

It's a big decision for me whether to get a KTM 640 or the 650R but I am leaning toward the R yet the ES on the 640 sure seems inviting and in my book the 640 is a darn nice looking bike.

:ride: Decisions, decisions :thumbsup: :applause:

• Iggy1

Posted August 08, 2006 - 03:21 AM

I'm about as far east as you can go in North America. I live in Cape Breton N.S. and I have 95,000kms on my 650R and the trails are just fine. To say the trails are to tight for the BRP is wrong. I even cut the bars to get into tighter trails. You must put a fan on them though. The tighter the trail sometimes the slower and less air flow over the rads.

I will have my BRP for a long time. Take a look at the long ride I got coming up that I posted on the Canadian Page. My BRP will have over 100,000kms by the time I get back. I ride everyday and wouldn't chose any other bike when riding single. Traveling with wife, need HD.

Also, allot of my friends either bought R's or are buying soon. Just a great bike and it will handle whatever you throw at it as long as it is geared right. My 2 cents.
:thumbsup:

• Falls A Lot

Posted August 08, 2006 - 05:54 AM

Not sure about the hate thing.......

But I get looks and head shaking and weight comments when I show up at a tight technical single track trail ride with mine. People think I am nuts because I sold perhaps one of the "best" woods bikes ('03 250EXC) to start this "convert-a-desert-bike-to-a-woods-bike" project.

I have never been quicker through the woods than I am on the modified Pig, and I feel this is one of the most reliable 4-stroke designs available. I base the reliability statement on personal experience, as an '04 400EXC and an '05 525 EXC also ride out of my garage.

That said, they are not for everyone. You have to know how to manage a heavy bike without wearing yourself out. You have to know and respect the bike's capabilities and limitations. And Pigs are NOT for MX-poseurs or those that must have something that looks like what the MX pros are winning with.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 08, 2006 - 06:19 AM

I hate that i cant get one plated in NY without the risk of having my cert yanked on a moments notice by the Department of Motor VehiNazis.

• cubera

Posted August 08, 2006 - 06:20 AM

650R is a very capable all around machine. Having said that, I sold mine because it scared the crap out of me. Bike was set-up for Baja style riding and would do over 100mph in nothing flat. Could never learn to haul it down fast enough or stay off the throttle enough to be comfortable. I'm accustomed to riding the little red pig (XR4) which is simply lots of fun, extremely managable, and highly reliable. 650Rs are great bikes and still kings of the desert really. There are some lighter, better suspended smaller displacement bikes around these days that will run with the 650R and that's why they are not a popular as they once were probably. Still a great bike for the money and lots can be done with suspension, gearing, etc. for any riding type or style IMHO.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 08, 2006 - 07:09 AM

I agree somewhat, I see allot fo BRPs at dealers for sale but you know dealers, their pricing doesn't reflect "used" at all. In fact I went ot a dealer interested in a used XR600R. I looked at it, general condition was good. Looked at blue book which was at $1785.00 high retail. The over enthusiastic sales guy comes out and I ask him the price of the bike. He goes into this big song and dance about how this is a RAD ASS bike man! And how it rips and will do tripples with ease and all this crap. I go, yeah how much you asking for it. He says he has to go look, comes out about 15 minutes, yes 15 min later and says, the sales manager says he wants this out of here today and will give you a KILLER price on it! I ask what it is thinking about 1500.00 or so, he says $3995.90 as long as its cash! I turned around and started to leave, he asks whats wrong and I tell him it is worth about $1500.00 and thats pushing it and he says they wont even entertain a offer that low. I tell him theyll still have it next year and Ill come back and buy it for $1500.00 then, he says no way, itll be gone by the end of the day for the $3995.90 he quoted. I went by a year and a half later, there it sits....

• Mattydiah

Posted August 08, 2006 - 07:23 AM

I am quite obsessed with 650R's, and hope to buy one this winter. I just want to motard it on the street. I looked at DRZ's, they are great bikes with no power. I looked at KTM's, they are great bikes with lots of power, and a pricetag to match. Plus there's that legendary KTM reliability, lol.

The 650R is a good compromise. Japanese reliability, with good power and low(er) maintenance.

I love BRP's and I dont even own one yet.

• DualSport650

Posted August 08, 2006 - 07:39 AM

650R is a very capable all around machine. Having said that, I sold mine because it scared the crap out of me. Bike was set-up for Baja style riding and would do over 100mph in nothing flat. Could never learn to haul it down fast enough or stay off the throttle enough to be comfortable. I'm accustomed to riding the little red pig (XR4) which is simply lots of fun, extremely managable, and highly reliable. 650Rs are great bikes and still kings of the desert really. There are some lighter, better suspended smaller displacement bikes around these days that will run with the 650R and that's why they are not a popular as they once were probably. Still a great bike for the money and lots can be done with suspension, gearing, etc. for any riding type or style IMHO.

I hear ya Cubera!

THE best mod I did to my BRP was buying an EBC oversized front disk.

Posted Image

$135 at www.RockymountainMC.com
Makes the front brake super-powerful
Much safer - slows you down NOW!
1 finger stoppies!!! :thumbsup:

• DualSport650

Posted August 08, 2006 - 07:45 AM

I am quite obsessed with 650R's, and hope to buy one this winter. I just want to motard it on the street. I looked at DRZ's, they are great bikes with no power. I looked at KTM's, they are great bikes with lots of power, and a pricetag to match. Plus there's that legendary KTM reliability, lol.

The 650R is a good compromise. Japanese reliability, with good power and low(er) maintenance.

I love BRP's and I dont even own one yet.

An XR650R would make a KILLER Super-Motard. :ride:

Street legal it
Get a set of Motard wheels
Gear it WAY UP!
Un-cork it
Get an oversized front disk
Then you can get into the intake, exhaust and motor mods, etc.

But be careful out there. My BRP will get up to 80 MPH REAL FAST!

Watch out for "Johnny Law" because riding an XR650R on the street will make you a HOULIGAN for sure. :thumbsup:

Keep savin' for that BRP...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ferdinand

Posted August 08, 2006 - 08:19 AM

If I find one for a price I can live with and in great shape, I can see one in my future. :thumbsup:

• BIGGITY

Posted August 08, 2006 - 08:41 AM

dirtbikes in general are cop magnets. I wish they would start pulling over thosem stupid AZZ harleys with straight pipes.. F-ing annoying! Although I do love when billy bad ass pulls up next to me with his huge rear tire and all the chrome and leathers and I smoke them off the line. C-ya $15,000 bike! Got mine for mid 3K's!

• MindBlower

Posted August 08, 2006 - 08:53 AM

I hear ya Cubera!

THE best mod I did to my BRP was buying an EBC oversized front disk.

Posted Image

$135 at www.RockymountainMC.com
Makes the front brake super-powerful
Much safer - slows you down NOW!
1 finger stoppies!!! :thumbsup:

What size do you have? I would like something less than 1 finger stoppie, I want to be able to still ride a bit of dirt without swapping it.

• pburke

Posted August 08, 2006 - 09:09 AM

I wish they would start pulling over thosem stupid AZZ harleys with straight pipes.. F-ing annoying!

yup - seems like because it's a Harley these guys get a free pass on legal noise levels. Around my neighborhood, there are at least 3 Harleys that shake the windows in my house when they go past, but nobody around me seems to even takes notice anymore. Then I fire up my US Forest Service legal XR650R with 94db FMF pipe, and everyone is rubber necking and pointing fingers at that damn noisy dirtbike coming up the road (no, they aren't admiring or drooling, they look pissed :applause: -- that :thumbsup: hooligan in all his funny offroad armor and helmet, probably been breaking 10 laws before he got up here to my driveway...)

And I LIKE it that way. Wouldn't want to blend in with that other crowd. One day I'll scare an old lady with a wheelie, just because they already judged me anyway.

Where I live is Harley country. I bet you can get arrested around here for saying anything against Milwaukee's best... :ride:

ahh - venting feels good

by the way - nobody hates the XR650R when they buy another bike - they just made a bad decision, got misguided by a sales person, didn't do their research, just were not the right rider for it anyway, etc.

• hypersthenos

Posted August 08, 2006 - 09:38 AM

Almost bought a new DRZ400SM 2mo ago but after considering the aftermarket stuff to make it at least usable I was out the door with accessories for $8,100! A week later I found a plated '00 XR650R 3mi. from my house for sale. Bought it for $3,750 with tons of mods. Best MC purchase I've ever made. Problem is I keep looking all over the place while riding it getting ready to be in trouble for something, even though it's street legal. I'm having so much fun I can't help but feel I'm doing something against the law! BTW I pulled up next to this guy with his girl on a big Suzuki cruiser & waved at him. He looked at me like I just fell out of a garbage truck. Go figure.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 08, 2006 - 09:39 AM

yup - seems like because it's a Harley these guys get a free pass on legal noise levels. Around my neighborhood, there are at least 3 Harleys that shake the windows in my house when they go past, but nobody around me seems to even takes notice anymore. Then I fire up my US Forest Service legal XR650R with 94db FMF pipe, and everyone is rubber necking and pointing fingers at that damn noisy dirtbike coming up the road (no, they aren't admiring or drooling, they look pissed :applause: -- that :thumbsup: hooligan in all his funny offroad armor and helmet, probably been breaking 10 laws before he got up here to my driveway...)

And I LIKE it that way. Wouldn't want to blend in with that other crowd. One day I'll scare an old lady with a wheelie, just because they already judged me anyway.

Where I live is Harley country. I bet you can get arrested around here for saying anything against Milwaukee's best... :ride:

ahh - venting feels good

by the way - nobody hates the XR650R when they buy another bike - they just made a bad decision, got misguided by a sales person, didn't do their research, just were not the right rider for it anyway, etc.

Man1 Aint that the thruth about the pipes! I have the same problem with my XR610R supermoto, it has a Pro Circuit 496 forest approved slip on on it and I get dirty looks from people. But a hardly ableson rider goes by un noticed with 4 in dia streight 180db drag pipes....and 130 cubic inches of annoying loudness.

• Few

Posted August 08, 2006 - 10:22 AM

nobody hates the XR650R when they buy another bike - they just made a bad decision, got misguided by a sales person, didn't do their research, just were not the right rider for it anyway, etc.

I'm Still riding my "5th" Big Pig as a curb hopper now after 14 years of faithfull service with my use and abuse. I will never part with it.
Upon pre-purchase considerations of a new bike last winter I feel I made the right decision when self guided without a sales person, after doing countless hours of research looking for a bike to be used the way I like to ride.
Now I wanted a bike that was lite, fast, tight in the woods, one that had something my pig's never came with "Suspension" and a magic button to make it come to life!
But a new bike also had to have the reliability that I have come to take for granted for over the last twenty years as well.
Cost was not a factor in my equations, though this definitely is one sport that can suck your wallet dry if some restraint is not pursued.
People don't hate the 650 in particular, IMHO. The BP's will alway have a fallowing and China might come out with a large displacement XR knock off with child car seat attachments someday, which will flood the US Market with cheap sleds and then everyone will commute on DS to work like the rest of the third world counties when gas is $5.00+ a gallon.
Remember you herd it here first.

• BIGGITY

Posted August 08, 2006 - 10:24 AM

LOL, a friend of mine lives in Vista California. They just built a huge North County Motorsports place right across the street from him and he is pissed! He says it's not the dirtbikers or even the crotch rockets. It's the damn harleys that as soon as they turn onto a street (and get absolutely straight) they hit the throttle as hard as possible so that they can try to impress everyone with their badness... Fat 40-50 year old balding men who are trying to re-claim their youth. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :ride:

• Huffa 2

Posted August 08, 2006 - 10:51 AM

I'm about as far east as you can go in North America. I live in Cape Breton N.S. and I have 95,000kms on my 650R and the trails are just fine. To say the trails are to tight for the BRP is wrong. I even cut the bars to get into tighter trails. You must put a fan on them though. The tighter the trail sometimes the slower and less air flow over the rads.

I will have my BRP for a long time. Take a look at the long ride I got coming up that I posted on the Canadian Page. My BRP will have over 100,000kms by the time I get back. I ride everyday and wouldn't chose any other bike when riding single. Traveling with wife, need HD.

Also, allot of my friends either bought R's or are buying soon. Just a great bike and it will handle whatever you throw at it as long as it is geared right. My 2 cents.
:thumbsup:

Well let me rephrase then...........talking competition wise or really flicking it thru the turns it is not near as much fun as say a 200cc bike. If I had both, the 650 would stay home because my trails are too rocky and too tight for to have fun on a huge beast like that.

It has been proven time and time again most riders are faster on a smaller machine. The 650 cuts it to GO trail riding but on the fun meter and to really motivate, for me anyway, it's pretty low. I'll take a XR 250 or KTM 200 any day over that and again, for my area that I ride in.

• cubera

Posted August 08, 2006 - 11:08 AM

Well let me rephrase then...........talking competition wise or really flicking it thru the turns it is not near as much fun as say a 200cc bike. If I had both, the 650 would stay home because my trails are too rocky and too tight for to have fun on a huge beast like that.

It has been proven time and time again most riders are faster on a smaller machine. The 650 cuts it to GO trail riding but on the fun meter and to really motivate, for me anyway, it's pretty low. I'll take a XR 250 or KTM 200 any day over that and again, for my area that I ride in.

No doubt you are correct about the smaller cc bikes being more fun in the tight nasty stuff. 650Rs are not single track bikes for most people just like an XR250 or KTM200 would be a last choice in desert riding. Kind of unfair to compare them though....they are all great bikes when used in thier element. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.