what about trials tires

35 replies to this topic
  • sorbs

Posted August 15, 2006 - 08:30 AM

I've been riding a trials tire this past season. It hooks up in the dry and wet exceptionally well. Like the others on this thread, never see myself using a knobby again.

Things to keep in mind. There is only 8-10LBS of tire pressure so flat, smooth asphalt is not your friend at high speed. Feels like you're running a flat tire because you are.

Cornering on dirt is a blast because it grips so well and you still get the effect of sliding but without the jarring when you hit a rock, it just soaks it up.

Mud is not a problem. The tire cleans itself quite well unlike my old knobby that liked to hang on to the mud until I got home to the pressure washer.

Climbing rocks is what it is designed for and does exceptionally well. Combine it with a Rekluse and you have a rock mower. Nothing will slow or stop you. I'm always waiting for my friends after any technical stuff. The only drawback is you'll be the one off your bike helping everyone else get theirs over the bad stuff.

Big :thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 15, 2006 - 05:49 PM

I hate the way it looks in the back of my truck

It is a rather "girlie" looking tire, isn't it. Its really skinning at just looks wrong! But it works.

... Nothing will slow or stop you. I'm always waiting for my friends after any technical stuff. The only drawback is you'll be the one off your bike helping everyone else get theirs over the bad stuff.

Big :thumbsup:

This is the exact problem that I want to have. I was climbing a few good rocky hills and the fact that I didn't get up one of them the first time was because I made it too difficult for myself. With the trials tire, I just needed to gas and go. No wheel spin, no losing traction, etc... As a matter of fact, it grabbed so good that my engine stalled. I'll have to keep my rpm's up.

• trikeflyer

Posted August 15, 2006 - 08:26 PM

Anyone ever tried a trials tire up front?

• sorbs

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:46 PM

That is my next move. Waiting for the season to start again here in No Cal before I put one on. I will let you know!

• coffee

Posted August 18, 2006 - 08:05 PM

Anyone ever tried a trials tire up front?

I have one front and back. Rides very very very smooth. Ask have been asking for months all over TT why not use a front trials tire and the only reasonable response I got was "it broke loose too easily in hard cornering" and that was 3rd hand information. Here is a link to that thread: Link. I can tell you with certainty that small ruts are NOT a problem - in/out/in/out of ruts - my other tires would bounce the front just enough that I had to blip the throttle to unload the front, the tires are incredible.

Tires really stick well - too well sometimes. You can see most of my comments in the first thread link that mauricedorris gave (12 pg). Put the brakes on and the tires stop immediately. Although in my case the bike and the rider (me) kept going - ouch. Actually had a couple of rider errors and my xrays are posted to that thread. Steep slopes with a loose dusting of sand on them - steep enough I can't walk on the hill - that is where they impress me the most.

From all I have read the Michelin X11 is incredible but pricey, the IRC is good too but still pricey, and the Dunlop 803s that I have are way less expensive, and the Mitas tire is the only one still DOT approved. Here is a link to Mitas. I have read that Mitas has a stiffer sidewall than the others so it may do better on the road.

Just this week someone told me he like the Dunlop much better on the road than the IRC he had - rear only.

Most of my riding is either slow and technical "play riding" or on the road - did not get to use them on the road at speed so I can't comment (yet). 7psi rear, 8psi front - like I said "play riding". No clue how they would do in a race - not my thing.

Let me know if you want more info.

• gregwr450f

Posted August 18, 2006 - 10:22 PM

how does the front trials handle square edged hit from rocks etc?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 19, 2006 - 02:07 AM

Coffee, please share your true impressions of the trials front. How does it compare to a knobby? I am currently planning to put an MT83 on the front to upgrade the stock tire.

I am really, really impressed with the trials rear. At least, it works for me, and I am a moderately agressive trail/desert rider. I like to go about 30mph at most through the single track trails, at least that the speed according to my trailtech. Any faster than that, I start getting visions of ambulances, emergency rooms, casts, metal plates, etc... But trust me, with a single track trail, that is fast enough.

I was planning on using the trials tire for my play rides (quite often) but then switch to a D952 of Maxxis IT rear since I will be entering several enduros soon (my first). But with the rear trials tire, it is now a non-issue. I cannot see switching at this point and plan to keep the IRC trials rear until it wears out.

Its amazing that I see more and more bikes with trials tires on them nowadays. I wish I had a second rim so that I could run them all.

• sorbs

Posted August 19, 2006 - 07:29 AM

From all I have read the Michelin X11 is incredible but pricey, the IRC is good too but still pricey, and the Dunlop 803s that I have are way less expensive, and the Mitas tire is the only one still DOT approved. Here is a link to Mitas. I have read that Mitas has a stiffer sidewall than the others so it may do better on the road.

Excellent write up coffee. I will be ordering my new rubber sooner rather than later based on your impressions. I'm using the IRC now in the rear and agree that it is very spongy at speed but it does work very well. With this info I can make an informed buying decision for the front, thank you!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • coffee

Posted August 19, 2006 - 08:21 AM

how does the front trials handle square edged hit from rocks etc?

Square edged hits do not exist on my bike any more. At some speed and on some hits at a low enough tire pressure I am SURE there will be problems - but I am plunking/play riding and not racing.

• coffee

Posted August 19, 2006 - 08:39 AM

Coffee, please share your true impressions of the trials front. How does it compare to a knobby? I am currently planning to put an MT83 on the front to upgrade the stock tire.

I am really, really impressed with the trials rear. At least, it works for me, and I am a moderately agressive trail/desert rider. I like to go about 30mph at most through the single track trails, at least that the speed according to my trailtech. Any faster than that, I start getting visions of ambulances, emergency rooms, casts, metal plates, etc... But trust me, with a single track trail, that is fast enough.

I was planning on using the trials tire for my play rides (quite often) but then switch to a D952 of Maxxis IT rear since I will be entering several enduros soon (my first). But with the rear trials tire, it is now a non-issue. I cannot see switching at this point and plan to keep the IRC trials rear until it wears out.

Its amazing that I see more and more bikes with trials tires on them nowadays. I wish I had a second rim so that I could run them all.

As soon as you said 30mph you lost me. The single track I run is more like 10 -15 mph MAX for 95% of the people on TT from what I can tell, and I go slower than that. Really not qualified to give an accurate description of a comparison since I am fairly new to the sport. You are running the rear trials tire - you know how the rear can go almost anywhere without having to worry about ruts, roots, etc? That is what it does on the front. You know how the rear suspension with the trials tires feels like velvet and now your front suspension feels harsh? That is what the front feels like. I REALLY wish someone better qualified would make a comparison!

All I know is I like to experiment and it seems lots and lots of people "know of someone that did something long ago, or maybe they read it in a magazine" and that info becomes gospel. That and the range of TTrs riding abilities, desires, and needs are huge.

• coffee

Posted August 19, 2006 - 09:03 AM

Excellent write up coffee. I will be ordering my new rubber sooner rather than later based on your impressions. I'm using the IRC now in the rear and agree that it is very spongy at speed but it does work very well. With this info I can make an informed buying decision for the front, thank you!

If you are anywhere near SF Bay area would you please come ride my bike? Then we could post better info?

As far as which trials tire - I have a TE250 (factory plate) and am considering putting the Dunlop 803s on my sons crf230 then getting Mitas DOT trials tires (ET-01) on the TE250. Seems some have found running the Mitas 'different' than either a knobbie or a Michelin at speed in the desert, but I don't do the desert at speed. Different in that clicker settings need changing. But what do I know? I have only been reading about trials tires on TT for a couple of hundred hours or so but have little expeirience compared to most on TT. Maybe a few thousand offroad miles at the most... and btw I am old (48).

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 19, 2006 - 04:07 PM

As soon as you said 30mph you lost me. The single track I run is more like 10 -15 mph MAX for 95% of the people on TT from what I can tell, and I go slower than that. ...

Well, the 30mph is Max, but it is on the open desert trails at California City or on "some" of the other trails at Gorman. I don't always go that fast.

I am "faily new" also. I am only 1.5 yrs into real dirt riding after 20+ years of street riding. Age is just a number... but my number is 41. I feel old also, but that was until I had a really agressive trail ride with a group of 60-70+ yr olds, one of which had a wooden leg.

Your opinions are just as valid and good as mine are. I do appreciate your comments. I take it all in and try to consider them.

I do not yet know what I am looking for in a front tire just yet, but I do know that the trials tire is setting a high standard for the rear.

• coffee

Posted August 19, 2006 - 05:25 PM

Come on up to norcal and you can ride it, or better yet lets meet in the middle after my doc clears me for riding and we can both ride! Right now I am supposed to be riding a bicycle...not the same.

Did the guy with a wooden leg have an estart?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 19, 2006 - 10:36 PM

Deal... we will meet in the middle somewhere.

the guy with the wooden leg (I think he is 76 yrs old) was riding a wr450 with estart.

Stick with the bicycle thing. It will pay off.

• sorbs

Posted August 20, 2006 - 01:30 AM

If you are anywhere near SF Bay area would you please come ride my bike? Then we could post better info?

Where the heck do you ride in the bay area? I used to get chased out of Windy Hill (Woodside) by cops in helicopters!

I'm 30 minutes from Georgetown and an hour to Forest Hill. You want to test those trials tires I've got the run for you at Forest Hill (loop 5 on the China Wall side).

I'm always up for new trails though!

• coffee

Posted August 20, 2006 - 09:13 AM

Where the heck do you ride in the bay area? I used to get chased out of Windy Hill (Woodside) by cops in helicopters!

I'm 30 minutes from Georgetown and an hour to Forest Hill. You want to test those trials tires I've got the run for you at Forest Hill (loop 5 on the China Wall side).

I'm always up for new trails though!

Gonna be a while before FH again.... We have as you probably know Carnegie which is about 1/2 hour from here, say what you want about it but it is still a place to ride. Feel free to come on over and try the bike or at some point I will be heading back to FH area.

mauricedorris - lets aim for just before red riding season.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.