xr650l questions

8 replies to this topic
  • sweetk30

Posted August 07, 2006 - 03:42 PM

first off yes i am a noob to this site. i was told this is #1. looks great.

i have a 93 xr650l with a bad output shaft. it had a chain drop at one time in its past and chew off the splines. some yaho welded the sprocket on. but as it is hardened steel shaft and soft sprocket it didn't hold to good. so the sprocket wore the square teeth to triangles. i need to split the case and replace it.

i did get a factory Honda service Manuel for the bike. as all of my ATVs over the years have needed work and they are just best to have.

i have been looking at ebay for goodys and parts. i found a aftermarket shaft for 1/2 price of Honda. has anyone used one yet? i don't want to wast my time and effort on it if i don't half to.

second i got a new hot cam stg 1 for it. anything i should look out for when replacing the cam?

and last i figure if its all apart for the shaft replacement i might just freshen up the top end and install a new piston kit. i was looking at a j.e. forged 10.25:1 kit with a 1mm over bore. and what is involved with the bigger piston kit? will this make the bike to much for the street or not.

i plan to play and street ride this bike. thanks for any and all help you can give a new bike owner.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 08, 2006 - 04:51 AM

You could take this moment to repl;ace the shaft with an XR600R shaft, and re-fit the kickstarter if you want.
Or, you could put in a whole 600R tranny and get rid of the huge 1-2 gap.

Hey, what part of NY?

dave

• sweetk30

Posted August 08, 2006 - 03:00 PM

You could take this moment to repl;ace the shaft with an XR600R shaft, and re-fit the kickstarter if you want.
Or, you could put in a whole 600R tranny and get rid of the huge 1-2 gap.
dave

sorry but what does this half to do with my problems. :thumbsup:

my zip is 14845 horseheads ny were are you?

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 09, 2006 - 03:17 AM

Replacing the tranny would add the (always available in an emergency) kick start option, and replace your worn shaft in the process. It would also change the gearing as mentioned to get rid of that awful 1-2 gap. If i was going to rip the heart out of my L and do a near complete engine teardown anyhow, i would also seriously consider replacing the tranny to add the kick start. I dont know how involved it would be for sure, but definetly (to me) worth looking into.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted August 09, 2006 - 07:48 AM

sorry but what does this half to do with my problems. :thumbsup:

my zip is 14845 horseheads ny were are you?

HC, thanks for the assist.

I'm just outside cortland, about 50mi from Horseheads.
Good trails out that way?
I'm still finding 'em out this way, have some fair ones scoped out.

Dave

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 09, 2006 - 08:16 AM

I didnt mean to jump into the middle, this just happens to be a topic i am interested in (swapping the trannies to get the kick) So i watch for posts on the subject.

I love my L and the magic E-button, but like my canon SLR versus my old beat up Nikon, all the electrical gizmos are nice and cool and fantastic, but when the battery goes south (and they do) then your just plain hosed. :thumbsup:

• sweetk30

Posted August 09, 2006 - 08:46 AM

any info is good info. thanks all.

i have not found out yet if the jug is factory sleeved or chromed. just what is it? i need to know to plan my pistion kit needs.

• cleonard

Posted August 09, 2006 - 12:20 PM

i have been looking at ebay for goodys and parts. i found a aftermarket shaft for 1/2 price of Honda. has anyone used one yet? i don't want to wast my time and effort on it if i don't half to.

Don't buy that aftermarket countershaft from the guy in Florida. It is not a OEM part. I tried one and found the following problems

• Incorrect machining. Sprocket would not fit as the splines were too wide.
  • More incorrect machining. Too long to fit in the cases. Caused binding.
  • Doesn't have the plug in the end. Without that plug, the oil will run out the end of the shaft, instead of under the transmission gears. Gears get no lube and I'm sure a BOOM will follow.

I discovered the machining right away. I found the missing plug after it was together, but before I ran the engine. I ended up getting a real Honda part.

It is sleeved and is boreable. However, it usually takes a lot of miles before the piston, and bore go bad. I've had the rings wear out on XR's and the piston and bore were still fine. Unless you know it's bad, I wouldn't redo the piston. On my XR's and XL's the valves went before the bore. It may only need new rings and a hone. Check the ring end gap.

If you do want to replace the piston, you should consider a higher compression one. Stock the compression ratio is 8.6 to 1. With that it can run on just about any kind of lowest octane gas. I think that the Wiseco 10.25 to 1 compression piston will up the power a lot and be OK ping wise on normal premium gas.

Both one of my friends with a 650L and my 600R have had the cam chain tensioner go bad. We replaced the cam chain when we did the tensioner. When mine went bad it made all kinds of noise as the chain slapped about, and it ran poorly.

• sweetk30

Posted August 09, 2006 - 02:00 PM

100% great info. just what i was looking for.

i was looking at the 10.25:1 j.e. pistion kit. 1mm over bore. is there broduct good like wisco or what would be best? thanks alot. :thumbsup: :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.