Beware - MSR Aftermarket Shifter

17 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted August 07, 2006 - 02:27 PM

I needed a shifter, my stock one like my past WR's gave 2 years of good service but unlike in the past when I have replaced it with the IMS steel one I opted for a MSR aluminum, it looked close to the stock and was a few bucks cheaper. I had tighten the thing every ride from the moment I bolted it on. Yesterday I had a race so I took it off Saturday night and cut a slice out of the gap so I could realy get some pressure on the splines. 20 minutes into a 90 minute race and I had a complete failure on my hands :thumbsup: 3rd into the first check point and 14th at the end of the race.

My 2 cents, stay away from any aftermarket aluminum shifters :ride:

• GCannon

Posted August 08, 2006 - 12:24 PM

Don your killing me! Two days ago I ordered a new MSR shifter I have not even recieved it yet. Do you think it is a Metalergy problem or a fastener problem? maybe that IMS steel shifter is looking better and better?

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 08, 2006 - 12:46 PM

Don your killing me! Two days ago I ordered a new MSR shifter I have not even recieved it yet. Do you think it is a Metalergy problem or a fastener problem? maybe that IMS steel shifter is looking better and better?

I think what happened is it got a little loose on the first ride and by time I stopped on the trail and tightened it, the damage to the splines on the shifter were done and no amount of tightening was going to fix it for long.

I still would not even consider anything but OEM or IMS. When I compare the OEM to the MSR, the MSR appears to be of a softer aluminum grade. I recommend the IMS :thumbsup: they have been solid on two other bikes I bought them for.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 08, 2006 - 02:54 PM

One of my first mods I do to my bikes when they are new is to replace the stock aluminum shifter with a steel unit from either MSR hard parts,Scotts or IMS. The steel ones always bend back when and if you bend them. Cheap insurance.

• Turismo

Posted August 08, 2006 - 03:35 PM

So what your saying is that you modified it and it failed???
Isn't that your fault then?

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 08, 2006 - 04:08 PM

So what your saying is that you modified it and it failed???
Isn't that your fault then?

I don't think thats what he said and it's not what I said.......... My issue with Aluminum shifters is the fact that the splines do not hold up very well. I've never had issues with bending one.

• Turismo

Posted August 08, 2006 - 04:15 PM

cut a slice out of the gap so I could realy get some pressure on the splines.

Your words........

But yes, the OEM ones are just fine!

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 09, 2006 - 07:54 AM

Your words........

But yes, the OEM ones are just fine!

It had already failed at this point. If you've never tried to extend the life of a shifter by doing this, you have not ridden enuf. Sometimes I refer to it as "Welfare Racing" :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted August 09, 2006 - 08:09 AM

I have spent many a late night filing open the the groove in the shifter hoping for one more weekend from that shifter. You always seem to notice it is loose as you are loading the truck or the night before.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StreetbikePimp

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:25 AM

Food for thought...

Have you guys ever tried "brake snakes". In 3 years of woods racing, I've never had to deal with a bent or loose shifter.

• texas_hippie

Posted August 09, 2006 - 12:34 PM

Clue me in...what's a brake snake?

• Jackazz

Posted August 09, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Clue me in...what's a brake snake?

http://www.thumperfa...brake_snake.htm

Keeps brush, sticks, & furry woodland creatures from getting lodged between the bikes frame/engine case & the brake pedal or shifter.

• SpeedBlitz

Posted August 09, 2006 - 02:32 PM

I needed a shifter, my stock one like my past WR's gave 2 years of good service but unlike in the past when I have replaced it with the IMS steel one I opted for a MSR aluminum, it looked close to the stock and was a few bucks cheaper. I had tighten the thing every ride from the moment I bolted it on.

Same problem with my MSR shifter as DON.

• Turismo

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:27 PM

It had already failed at this point. If you've never tried to extend the life of a shifter by doing this, you have not ridden enuf. Sometimes I refer to it as "Welfare Racing" :ride:

OK, starting to make sense now. :thumbsup:

• ARin

Posted August 09, 2006 - 11:02 PM

MSR aluminum stuff is poopy all around. I went through 3 MSR raptor levers (all broke at the perch) in a few months.

The MSR aluminum is just cast...not forged or milled. The broken pieces looked VERY porous....poor casting.

I got another replacement raptor from MSR, and sold it...used the money to partially fund a switch to ASV levers and perches.

Never a problem since.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 10, 2006 - 07:28 AM

Brake Snakes are cool but I don't see the connection between one of them and stripped splines on a POS Aluminum shifter.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:12 AM

Brake Snakes are cool but I don't see the connection between one of them and stripped splines on a PPS Aluminum shifter.

I don't know this as fact or if this even applies to where you ride...but if you're riding through tall grass or brush occasionally, that tall grass and brush is wedging itself in between your shifter and the case, and applying stress onto your shifter that it was not designed to handle.

I'm not saying that the brake snake will prevent the stripped splines from happening, but it can't hurt either.

• WR_Dave

Posted August 10, 2006 - 04:38 PM

Being a lifelong shifter abuser (always been hard on shifters even on the minis when I was a kid) I don't even run the stock aluminum shifters. I usually install a good steel one right away and save the shiny aluminum one for the resale of the bike. Who wouldn't pay top dollar for a bike with a totally unabused shifter :thumbsup: :ride: . WR Dave.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.