Front tire question for experienced riders

14 replies to this topic
  • pHreaC

Posted August 07, 2006 - 12:26 PM

Would someone with little experience in enduro really benefit from a different front tire than stock (Dunlop D908F)?
Knowing that the front tire still is in excellent condition would it be wise for me to go to a better front tire or would it just be a waste of money? If you think it would be wise, wich tire would you suggest?
My riding conditions are 75-25 off-on, mainly gravel, woods(wet) and grassland...

My back tire is worn out (Pirelli MT18), so I was thinking of getting some new rubber. Reading the previous post about tires made me start thinking about changing both front and back tire.

Thx for the replies, really appreciate it :thumbsup: ...

another enduro enthousiast,
pHreaC

• fish525

Posted August 07, 2006 - 03:03 PM

for me its D-739 up front and a D-756 or Maxis IT desert on the rear

• 642MX

Posted August 07, 2006 - 05:43 PM

I use Dunlop 952's front and rear.

• lavoie du christ

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:06 PM

my kenda Washougal sticky is working really great. i personnaly prefer the kenda washougal over the S-12 front... hard to believe. I have both in the garage and i always switch back to the W Sticky. Carcass is strong/harder but the knobs are soft . i think my little wr450 needs hard sidewall . Good on wet, good on hard, doesn't wear,...best tire i have tried soo far... i love it.

• steve lemley

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:11 PM

the 952's and the desert IT rear and Si maxxis front both are the most recommended. I run the Maxxis desert IT rear for the predictable power and because I do probley 20% street too and this thing wears like iron unlike the dunlops. Its a toss up for me but I run the Maxxis, I love um and they last approx 800miles of nasty riding. If you go with the maxxis, with I would recommend, buy the SI front not the IT front.

• Turismo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 11:14 PM

my kenda Washougal sticky is working really great. i personnaly prefer the kenda washougal over the S-12 front... hard to believe. I have both in the garage and i always switch back to the W Sticky. Carcass is strong/harder but the knobs are soft . i think my little wr450 needs hard sidewall . Good on wet, good on hard, doesn't wear,...best tire i have tried soo far... i love it.

Have you got the 90 or 80 front tire?

• Turismo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 11:44 PM

Would someone with little experience in enduro really benefit from a different front tire than stock (Dunlop D908F)?

EVERYONE will benefit from a new different front tire. I truely think any other front tire would be better. Just pick the best front tire you can buy for the intended terrain, front tires take ages to wear out.

Knowing that the front tire still is in excellent condition would it be wise for me to go to a better front tire or would it just be a waste of money?

Throw that sucker in the bin. You will be glad you did. Give it away to an unsuspecting friend for a laugh!

If you think it would be wise, wich tire would you suggest?

*For front and back* When racing, I use Michelin MH3's for the harder terrain events, and the MS3's for the softer terrain events. These tires are pure race, so grip is first and foremost. The MH3's last longer than the MS3's, but that is a given considering the intended terrains for these tires.

With the Dunlop's, I like to use the 756's for the softer stuff and the 739's for the harder stuff.

There is nothing like a full blown MX tire for competition. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pHreaC

Posted August 08, 2006 - 12:27 AM

How come no one uses Pirelli tires. All the dealers tell me it's the way to go (Belgian dealers).
Are they not as good as dunlop, only for mx and not for enduro or just hard to come by in the US?

• Turismo

Posted August 08, 2006 - 03:56 AM

Pirelli make exellent tires, they are just not very common over here.
The MT410 and 450 are great tires front and back. You just have to match them to their terrain.

• tigerowner_ut

Posted August 08, 2006 - 10:34 AM

I use Pirelli MT32s. GREAT TIRE PERIOD! The stock tires nidn't work on the trails I ride and I got rid of them fast. That being said a good front tire is twice as important as a good rear. Why? If your front tire slips you are on your ass. If your rear tire slips you are just roosting.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 08, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Before I get into it let me say that Maxxis is a sponsor of mine and therefore I can not and should not say anything bad about them. My tire of choice for the front is Michelin M12 and S12, I ride 100% Pacific NW off road :thumbsup:

The Maxxis Rear Desert IT will wear like iron and hook up very well in Desert conditions, I would use the Desert IT FRONT to start a fire and opt to mount the Maxxis SI front for Desert conditions, it has OK knob traction and a nice stiff carcass.

• 06WR450FSM

Posted August 08, 2006 - 08:39 PM

I use the Pirelli Scorpion Pro FIM 90/90 on the front. The tread pattern is very open and aggressive, and the carcass is stiff. DOT legal as well...

• pHreaC

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:00 AM

Went to the shop, told the dealer my riding conditions and he persuaded me to get a MT410 Pirelli up front and a BFGoodrich Crossengo back. Haven't had the chance to try em out yet. Hope this will be an improvement.

grtz,

pHreaC

• ryder

Posted August 09, 2006 - 07:06 AM

MT44F front and MT32 rear. So far they have been excellent.

I only use pirelli's for front tires as they have the most aggressive DOT around. Let us know how it works out.

• pHreaC

Posted August 19, 2006 - 02:06 AM

Happy with the front, it's an improvement, next front will be a MT32 though (want to try that one as well). The goodriche on the back is mega-crap for me, it really sucks donkey-balls. Trew it away allready and went to the dealer and had a MT18 installed.
The goodrich tire had no stick what so ever when building up some speed on wet sandy roads (above 80-90km/h it was just all over the place) and when driving on hard wet grounds (forest-trails) I just couldn't feel/predict the bike. Can't figure out why some people are so happy with this tire. It just isn't me!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.