motard wheel options??

4 replies to this topic
  • roadrash05

Posted August 07, 2006 - 11:13 AM

this is probably a stupid noob question, but i'll ask it anyways... i dont have an XR650 yet, but until i do, im trying to figure out the best wheels to run for a supermoto style bike. i've seen some with wheels from CBR600's and i think a couple of nighthawk wheels... i'd really like to run cast wheels over a lace up w/ Excel's, but i've heard there is alot of custom spacer machining involved. my question is... how hard would a 17" cast wheel from a street bike be to mate up with a late model stock XR swingarm/ sprocket/ etc.? also, with a stock swingarm what is the limit on tire width? thanks in advance. http://bikepics.com/pictures/228365/ *click here for an example*

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 11:45 AM

You are right, there is allot of fab work to do when installing cast wheels from a sportbike, and they are friggin heavy! Id do a set of excells laced to your stock hubs and be done with it. Itll actually be way cheaper unless you have a milling machine, and a lathe because unless you have both forget making a set of sportbike wheels fit your Tardo. I went with Excells laced to Z-Billet hubs and Avon Distanzia tyres, love the combo and the black wheels gold anodized hubs look great on the all black bike. Or find an extra set of stock wheels and do the conversion on the stock hubs, then youll have the dirt wheels too! PS: theres a pic of my Re-Tard in my garage over there under my avatar.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadrash05

Posted August 07, 2006 - 11:56 AM

yea, i saw it... thing looks sweet.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 12:08 PM

yea, i saw it... thing looks sweet.

Thanks! But please dont put ugly sportbike wheels on a tard conversion, they are twice as heavy as my conversion, and they look weird once they are on unless you use the really nice CBR wheels, whihc kinda look like Marchisinis, cool. Id look for a extra set of stock dirt wheels, then send them to Motostrano and have some 17in hoops laced to the stock hubs, I think that costa about 500 bucks or less and works with ALL the stock stuff, you can also get the same rotor and relocator I have and go 320mm front rotor on it. Email me at sniperx@netscape.com if you need more help.

• roadrash05

Posted August 07, 2006 - 03:12 PM

yea, 320 rotors are definately being considered. i was thinking of wheels more along the lines .... Posted Image

.. any suggestions about a maximum tire width/ size you could be able to run with no clearance issues?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.