Off road DOT tyre question

6 replies to this topic
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 08:02 AM

So the project desert sled is comming along...slowly! But I have a question for you guys who also ride the street. Im looking at a few tyres for the beast but want DOT approved knobbies so they will last on the street. Are the MT21s better that the Karoo IIs? I hear great things about the Karoo IIs but have not ridden on the but remember the MT21 was great but more knobbie feeling on the road but I dont really mind that either! Whats the deal and what do you guys use...thanks!

• snaggleXR650

Posted August 07, 2006 - 09:29 AM

I've not used alot of tires, but the MT21 is a good DOT tire. Life expectancy on a big thumper is only ~1500 miles best case.

My newest tire, is a Maxxis Desert IT. It doesn't say it's not DOT, or "for offroad use only" so who knows. It does show load ratings and stuff like a DOT tire, but it doesn't look DOT :thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted August 07, 2006 - 11:15 AM

So far I've used Dunlop D606s and Pirelli MT21. I'm trying a set of Kenda 270s right now (just put them on). 606s and MT21 are both good but I liked the front MT21 quite a bit better. So, far the Kenda 270s SUCK! I haven't gotten them in any dirt yet (mostly got them for my summertime street bias) but on the street they feel worse than the MT21s I just took off. Now, I've only got about 20 miles on them and am still playing with the pressures. They better improve as they wear in. I'm hoping they are just slippery cause they are new. They squirm all over the place--yuck. I'll post an update on the 270s once I know for sure what's what with them....

I got about 1200 miles out of the 606s and MT21s.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 11:39 AM

I heard the Karoo IIs from Michlin are awesome, but have not tried them but may go that way. My buddy who just bought a 950 adventurer just put them onI think, Ill have to verufy that but I think he went with the Karoos...anybody here done Karoos?? Wassup wit dem!

• ghoti

Posted August 07, 2006 - 12:03 PM

Metzler makes the Karoos. The II's are for tube less tires. I really like mine, got 3000 miles out of the rear, front still going at 4000. You won't enjoy mounting the rear, it's a beast.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 12:14 PM

Metzler makes the Karoos. The II's are for tube less tires. I really like mine, got 3000 miles out of the rear, front still going at 4000. You won't enjoy mounting the rear, it's a beast.

OOhhh baby! iLL take that thing to the shop and gladly pay the 15 clams it costs to have it done on a tyre like that! I may even just let them do both the front and rear. Theres a great deal here right now at a shop where if you buy the rear they GIVE you the front tyre free. Ill check into
them for pricing.

• pigryder

Posted August 07, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Hey guys Im running my takeoffs from my R on my L and right now theres a maxxis IT on the rear and the first one was probally 3/4 shot when I removed it from the R and got about 1200 miles with it on the L with like 1/32 of tread left, and dont let the knobs scare you lean that slut over!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.