Drwabacks having a street legal XR instead of a XL?

15 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted August 07, 2006 - 06:43 AM

Besides not having electric start, a smaller tank I imagine (??) and most likely not as bright of a headlight are there any other negatives riding a street legal XR towards a newer L model?

I'm referring to approx a 2000 XR.

Is a XR a 5 speed or 6? I understand the L is a 6, is that correct?

Is a L model wider at seat - tank junction? How much weight difference?

• jamestoo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 06:46 AM

i find my 2002 R no problem what so ever on the street

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Besides not having elestric start, a smaller tank I imagine (??) and most likely not as bright of a headlight are there any other negatives riding a street legal XR towards a newer L model?

I have 2 street legal XR600s, a 92 and a 96. The 96 a supermoto.

I have a buddy who has an L

Here are the costs and benifits of both,

XR600R Benifits:

lighter, fgaster, looks more "dirt bikey" Is more dirt bikey, hanbdles way betyter both on street and dirt because it is about 60lbs lighter.

XR600R costs:

It is kick only, so if you are going to off road it ALLOT, and you arent very tall or big and strong, itll be a total and unrelenting bitch to start at some point where you bail and flood it. Thats it on the costs of an XR-R

XR650L benifits:

E start, and oh so slightly better at a Hiway only tour than a plated R but not by much and I don't like it as well as tre R which I feel is a little smoother.

XR-L costs, see XR benifits, heavy and slow stock but still a veyr fun and capably bike, but the E start, which is its best attribute is also it's achilis heel as it adds about 25lbs because of all the crap hung on there to make it work. Plus another 25lbs of heavy street stuff, read heavy, about 50 lbs heavierr than a plated XRR/

Now, before all the L guys get the rope, let me say this, I have to nit pick here because these things listed are so very close and both bikes are stellar for both on and off road, just you asked for the differences, and these are it.

Hope this helps, as it really depends on what you wnat to do on the bikes and what you wnat most, off road ability or ease of starting.

• Huffa 2

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:00 AM

I have 2 street legal XR600s, a 92 and a 96. The 96 a supermoto.

I have a buddy who has an L

Here are the costs and benifits of both,

XR600R Benifits:

lighter, fgaster, looks more "dirt bikey" Is more dirt bikey, hanbdles way betyter both on street and dirt because it is about 60lbs lighter.

XR600R costs:

It is kick only, so if you are going to off road it ALLOT, and you arent very tall or big and strong, itll be a total and unrelenting bitch to start at some point where you bail and flood it. Thats it on the costs of an XR-R

XR650L benifits:

E start, and oh so slightly better at a Hiway only tour than a plated R but not by much and I don't like it as well as tre R which I feel is a little smoother.

XR-L costs, see XR benifits, heavy and slow stock but still a veyr fun and capably bike, but the E start, which is its best attribute is also it's achilis heel as it adds about 25lbs because of all the crap hung on there to make it work. Plus another 25lbs of heavy street stuff, read heavy, about 50 lbs heavierr than a plated XRR/

Now, before all the L guys get the rope, let me say this, I have to nit pick here because these things listed are so very close and both bikes are stellar for both on and off road, just you asked for the differences, and these are it.

Hope this helps, as it really depends on what you wnat to do on the bikes and what you wnat most, off road ability or ease of starting.

Thanks and that is pretty much the answers I'm looking for. I'll take the R please! :thumbsup:

• jamestoo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:23 AM

remember the R is a big boys bike!

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:47 AM

remember the R is a big boys bike!

righto! See my entry under XR600R costs! I am only 5' 8" tall, or uh short, but I have no problem, but then again I also weigh 190 and I aint fat!

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Thanks and that is pretty much the answers I'm looking for. I'll take the R please! :thumbsup:

Oh, and on the tank size, you can get an AQcerbis 5 gal for 210.,00 or better yet, a clarke in any coloure you want for 170 in 5 gallon, if you really want some range you may be able to find an older Acerbis in 8 gallon like the one on my desert sled XR630R! Thats a mondo tank...

• Few

Posted August 07, 2006 - 08:37 AM

Oh, and on the tank size, you can get an AQcerbis 5 gal for 210.,00 or better yet, a clarke in any coloure you want for 170 in 5 gallon, if you really want some range you may be able to find an older Acerbis in 8 gallon like the one on my desert sled XR630R! Thats a mondo tank...

With my stock tank on my XRR I get around 100+ mi. on the street.
40-50 miles for $3.50 gallon in still cheaper then four wheels for me. :thumbsup: :ride: :applause: :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 08:43 AM

With my stock tank on my XRR I get around 100+ mi. on the street.
40-50 miles for $3.50 gallon in still cheaper then four wheels for me. :thumbsup: :ride: :applause: :applause:

Yeah, but since I hate stopping for gas even though I need to get off the bike allot it is nicer to have at least a 5 gallon tank. On the trip (adventure) I am going on on the desert sled when I get finished with that project, Ill need the Il Monstro 87 gal tank...it may not be 8 gallons but it looks like it! you can see it in MY Garage if youwant, it is the mondo one that is now red white and blue.

• Huffa 2

Posted August 07, 2006 - 09:20 AM

Yeah, but since I hate stopping for gas even though I need to get off the bike allot it is nicer to have at least a 5 gallon tank. On the trip (adventure) I am going on on the desert sled when I get finished with that project, Ill need the Il Monstro 87 gal tank...it may not be 8 gallons but it looks like it! you can see it in MY Garage if youwant, it is the mondo one that is now red white and blue.

That's Humongo :applause: :thumbsup: :ride: HUGE, Id rather stop for gas if at all possible.

Have a pic with a 5 gallon job on XR ?

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 12:18 PM

That's Humongo :applause: :thumbsup: :ride: HUGE, Id rather stop for gas if at all possible.

Have a pic with a 5 gallon job on XR ?

Yeah, look in my garage and click on the supermoto, it is the black bike in my garage, that is a 5.something gallon Acerbis. The desert bike is also there with the 8 gall tank. it looks pretty sweet really, like it has rad shrouds...not bad really and the stripes I made and put on make it look a little smaller.

• pburke

Posted August 07, 2006 - 03:12 PM

2000 XRR is water cooled, so don't idle much when not moving, or you need a fan, bigger radiator. weight - about 50-60lbs less than the L, 5 speed, enough power in that motor to put a constant grin on your face.

Other things you have to accept are the costly aftermarket parts to street-legalize the bike, lack of anything like a safe ignition key lock, dinky battery (but it's not really needed) and a real desire to chew up tires. Mileage is also not so good, because you just can't ride the bike in the mode that's required to save gas :thumbsup:

If not street-titled when you buy it, the XRR is quite difficult to get street legal in some states, so depending on where you live that may be a factor.

All other XRR traditional weak points apply, (see http://www.xr650r.us/issues/ ) but you get a bike in return that puts a smile on your face every time you move that throttle.

Peter

• ghoti

Posted August 08, 2006 - 07:08 AM

The L comes with a cupholder. :thumbsup:

• motomonte

Posted August 08, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Well thats a MONDO tank,just wondering how much that more weight upstairs affects the handling?I bet you know when youre running out of gas (the bike suddenly feels more agile...)Nice bike by theway.

• wheelnut46

Posted August 08, 2006 - 07:37 PM

The L model is 5 speed. (I wish it had a 6th gear)

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 09, 2006 - 03:47 AM

The L comes with a cupholder. :thumbsup:

and a laptop.

and a 12 disc CD changer

and a passenger dvd

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.