Overheated again

13 replies to this topic
  • puxx

Posted August 07, 2006 - 05:33 AM

well I took the piggy (06 XR 650 r uncorked no tstat orig cap) out again and she was dooin good when I was easy on her I was even on a difficult trail so on the way back I kinda started railing on her and when I looked down at my tank I thought I saw bubbles coming up well when I shut her off at the end after a good little stretch in the open road to cool her she boiled over not like totally (where there is water on the ground and all) I could just hear her bubbling then it sucked all the water out of the tank so I know it lost some as for the tstat its still in there but I removed the valve to let it be open all the time the bike is jetted one step rich to try to help this also

Any sugestions?

• michhub

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:11 AM

Are you using an iKat by any chance, there have been reports of this increases engine temps dramatically....

MikeH

• puxx

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:35 AM

nopers its stock exe for the uncorking and jetting mods oh yea b53 needle and a twin air

• bigredxr

Posted August 07, 2006 - 01:48 PM

Its not advisable to take a t-stat out of a cooling system because that is what slows the coolant flow down enough to allow the radiator to do its job effectively.

• Mudshark

Posted August 07, 2006 - 01:58 PM

Its not advisable to take a t-stat out of a cooling system because that is what slows the coolant flow down enough to allow the radiator to do its job effectively.

I agree, I commute on my pig a '06 as well. It's uncorked and even in slow traffic
with the heat index at 112 it's never boiled. I have a SRC oil temp dipstick.
It usually tops out at just over 215deg F even on really hot days and
runs at about 180 on regular bush bashing "cooler" days.

What coolant are you using? maybe it's not as good as the stock stuff.
I till use the regular Honda HP 50/50 ready to use stuff... it works.

• puxx

Posted August 07, 2006 - 04:00 PM

The tstat is still in there I just cut the valve out of it

• motochris

Posted August 07, 2006 - 04:03 PM

Are you by chance at high altitude? Higher altitudes cause bikes to overheat easier. If so, just go with a higher pressure cap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • puxx

Posted August 07, 2006 - 04:07 PM

5280' mile hi to start and goes up from there

• Mudshark

Posted August 07, 2006 - 04:08 PM

Are you by chance at high altitude? Higher altitudes cause bikes to overheat easier. If so, just go with a higher pressure cap.

I think he's in colorado... sounds high to me :thumbsup:

Go here and get one of these, it'll fix the problem.

https://secure.srcin...1672&StartRow=1

and then put this in there too.

https://secure.srcin...671&StartRow=21

• puxx

Posted August 07, 2006 - 04:13 PM

I've got the 1.6 bar cap on order I will for sure get the src ones just to have them but I have the napa tstat they list in the xr650r faq from dirt rodders so I'm going to try the cap and stat this weekend and I was going to use dexcool

• Mudshark

Posted August 07, 2006 - 04:16 PM

I've got the 1.6 bar cap on order I will for sure get the src ones just to have them but I have the napa tstat they list in the xr650r faq from dirt rodders so I'm going to try the cap and stat this weekend and I was going to use dexcool

the napa stat is good. Get one of these too:

https://secure.srcin...678&StartRow=21

At least you'll know how hot it really is.

:thumbsup:

• motochris

Posted August 07, 2006 - 04:23 PM

5280' mile hi to start and goes up from there

Yea, that's gettin' up there. This bike has a tendency to want to boil over to begin with. High altitude just makes it worse. I'm betting the cap will fix most of it. You may still boil over on occasion, but probably not enough to actually lose coolant.

• hypersthenos

Posted August 07, 2006 - 10:16 PM

I have an '00 XRR with the stock thermostat & cap. Was stuck in traffic for about 20min today in 95 degree weather with no loss of coolant at all. Guess I'm lucky. I think I'm at about 2,500 ft here in Spokane, WA but I might be off a bit. As a side note I'd be interested in what label is under that riveted on SRC badge on the rad cap. Bet it's available elsewhere for less (without the fancy badge).

• puxx

Posted August 08, 2006 - 05:30 AM

Its a friggin Toyota cap if I remember the markings correctly It's been a while since I've seen a stock Toyota cap (the shops I've worked at lately all have old cars) I'm going to call on track today cause that SCR cap is a stant racing division cap that they photochoped the logo off

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.