How many hours will a 450 go before rebuild

19 replies to this topic
  • srhines67

Posted August 06, 2006 - 09:10 PM

Trying to estimate when and how much it will cost?

• kid on a 426

Posted August 06, 2006 - 09:27 PM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. But fairly expensive

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 12:14 AM

My cousins 01 YZ 250f was rebuilt about 2 years ago because the original owner neglected the bike big time, The head, all 5 valves/springs/retainers, piston rings, cam chain, and crank were all replaced (the crank was fine, the sprocket for the cam chain was shot). The parts bill would have been about $1500-1800 at retail. The big motors will last significantly longer. I know of 400s and 426s that have never had a shim touched and still start on the first kick.

• barch88

Posted August 07, 2006 - 01:02 AM

Billions of hours...

They may never need rebuilt if you take care of them.

• BergArabia

Posted August 07, 2006 - 03:39 AM

Billions of hours...

They may never need rebuilt if you take care of them.

I hope you are right cos I am on my second piston and cylinder but then I didn't keep my oil drain plug tight enough once (that is all it took)..

Be real careful with the oil drain plug..

I think you are probably right about them lasting if you take care..

• dwnlowx

Posted August 07, 2006 - 06:49 AM

it is important to check and make sure you allways have a gasket or gramet on all your fill plug and others as well just for engine safety

• dirtflea

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:02 AM

I have had just over 200 hours on my CRF 450, when the mechanics tore it down they said it was as close to letting go as they have ever seen. They suggest at least a piston and rings about every 100 hours. That part sucks, I ride enduros and I can put that many hours on in less than six months. I do all the recommended maintence, the last rebuilt set me back $800, and it included new valves, springs, seats, piston, rings, gaskets, minor head work including having seats recut. I think next go around I will go with stainless valves instead of the titanium stock valves. I started running Amsoil in the tranny and motor after the last rebuild and am real happy with it.

• kawirider

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:44 AM

How can you tell when you need to rebuild a 450? Mine is an '03 and I know the guy that had it before me raced, and now I am starting to go to the tracks. It will still start first kick if it hasnt been sitting for more than a day or two and it has plenty of power. How do you tell? I have no idea as to how many hours I have on the bike.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted August 07, 2006 - 08:01 AM

Only way to tell is to tear it down, but check your valve clearances first. That might give the mechanic an idea. Fix it before it blows and you'll save a ton of cash.

• kawirider

Posted August 07, 2006 - 10:33 AM

When you tear it down what are you looking for? What are the tell-tale signs that it needs to be rebuilt?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtflea

Posted August 07, 2006 - 02:39 PM

Make sure that the valve clearences are right and then do a pressure/leak down test.
Is is a Yamaha or Honda? It pains me to say it (I'm a Honda Guy) that the Yamahas will go longer between rebuilds and valve adjustments than Hondas CRF's.

• barch88

Posted August 07, 2006 - 03:41 PM

Is is a Yamaha or Honda? It pains me to say it (I'm a Honda Guy) that the Yamahas will go longer between rebuilds and valve adjustments than Hondas CRF's.

The truth hurts sometimes don't it...:thumbsup:

• dirtflea

Posted August 07, 2006 - 05:18 PM

The truth hurts sometimes don't it...:thumbsup:

Yes, right in the pocket book, ouch!

• srhines67

Posted August 07, 2006 - 06:15 PM

OK. I'm not having any problems with my 426. I just want to get a figure for number of hours to rebuild. I log all of my hours - anal I know - and want to see the bike at 1/2 life or so. Then it's time to get something newer and lighter.

• 1BLUEsky

Posted August 07, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Dirt Bike magazine a month or two ago had an article that compared the cost of owning a 4 stroke and a 2. In the end the two stroke came out a little cheaper, but obviously a pain in the ass concerning the pre-mix and a simpler, but more frequent rebuild schedule. The best news was that the usual simple maintainance goes a long way as do watching your RPMs. The article pointed to the fact that a rev happy 20 year old A rider will need to rebuild far earlier than a "slower" 35 year old :thumbsup: like me !!

• srhines67

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:49 PM

I was thinking that you could do a lot of 100.00 top ends in a 2 stroke for the cost of a top end rebuild in a 4 stroke.

• One Louder

Posted August 07, 2006 - 07:50 PM

How can you tell when you need to rebuild a 450? Mine is an '03 and I know the guy that had it before me raced, and now I am starting to go to the tracks. It will still start first kick if it hasnt been sitting for more than a day or two and it has plenty of power. How do you tell? I have no idea as to how many hours I have on the bike.

Take note of the compression and listen for funny noises. I don't think my 98 yz 400 has ever been rebuilt, but it still runs perfect, starts first kick, and has tons of compression. In my opinion if these bikes are well maintained they can run for years without a rebuild. :thumbsup:

• aford541

Posted August 07, 2006 - 09:09 PM

Previous thread

• jimbob69

Posted August 08, 2006 - 11:24 AM

My 99' 400 was raced by the previous owner, he never adjusted the valves since it was new, and they are still well within spec!!!
I checked the valves once at the beginning of july, and I'm going to check them again as soon as i tear down to drop this hotcam in there. So farr they have not been adjusted once since new off the showroom floor.

• Kevin117

Posted August 08, 2006 - 05:32 PM

usually when a four stoke gets hard to start then that usually means its time for valve adjustment.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.