Electric Start for XR 650 ?

9 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted August 06, 2006 - 05:04 PM

Can you take it (side case, internal gears or what ever, battery, etc......) directly off a XL and install on a XR? If so would 15 lbs be close to the weight gain?

Are there after market companies that make them for XR ?

Edited ......... search was not working when I posted and it is now. That ? has been asked many times before I see. Seems like an expensive job :thumbsup: to put L parts on a R.

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 06, 2006 - 05:57 PM

The XRR and XRL cases are not compatible.

If you want the e-button: Baja Designs. $$$ and none too pretty. But then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

It works and there's lot's a guys going that route, if you don't mind the weight and dollar penalty.

If you got a temperamental bike, you might think about upgrading to an Edelbrock Quicksilver carb. I did it and I could not be happier. 1st-kick, 4 out of 5 times. No more than two kicks 19 out of 20 times. And substantially improved throttle response and a nice power boost over a stocker.

Good luck.

• ogrider650

Posted August 06, 2006 - 06:55 PM

the baja designs is pretty bulky and looks pretty vunerable (sp), joe racer makes one as well smaller but twice as expensive.

• XRandWRRider

Posted August 06, 2006 - 10:18 PM

I have the Baja-Designs e-Start kit and I love it! It makes it much easier to start on a hill, when it is flooded, or when you are just in a hurry. It is also great for anyone who ever starts their bike in anything other than knee-high boots. The kick starter once left a welt on my calf when I was starting the bike after some maintenance while wearing hiking boots. The kit may look vulnerable, but it is pretty stout and has survived several crashes on my bike. As for the weight, the XR-R isn't a lightweight to begin with. In my mind, it is worth every once and every dollar!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 07, 2006 - 12:04 AM

the baja designs is pretty bulky and looks pretty vunerable (sp), joe racer makes one as well smaller but twice as expensive.

Not as vulnerable as it looks. I have run it for 2 years with no problem. It is ugly but not an issue when you need it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted August 07, 2006 - 02:03 AM

Thanks guys but looks mean a great deal to me and that just looks terrible on there and I can't justify the :ride: $875 price for it. WHOLY COW , THAT'S CRAZY

I'd rather put up with the kickstart since I'm not a real serious off roader and it would be 90% back roads all the time.

https://www.bajadesi...s/041020big.jpg

:thumbsup: Wonder where that starter is made and if it matches up to some other type (4 wheeler, 3 wheeler, another cycle) machine?

• Mattydiah

Posted August 07, 2006 - 04:09 AM

Holy crap, you guys werent kidding when you said it was ugly!

• Huffa 2

Posted August 07, 2006 - 06:01 AM

Holy crap, you guys werent kidding when you said it was ugly!

Ain't it though! :thumbsup:

I just noticed that the battery is behind it resting on top of motor I think.

Thast's a really dumb place for it, (center of gravity good though) couldn't they have put it behind a # plate, under seat or something.

• ogrider650

Posted August 07, 2006 - 01:10 PM

I have the Baja-Designs e-Start kit and I love it! It makes it much easier to start on a hill, when it is flooded, or when you are just in a hurry. It is also great for anyone who ever starts their bike in anything other than knee-high boots. The kick starter once left a welt on my calf when I was starting the bike after some maintenance while wearing hiking boots. The kit may look vulnerable, but it is pretty stout and has survived several crashes on my bike. As for the weight, the XR-R isn't a lightweight to begin with. In my mind, it is worth every once and every dollar!

xrandwrrider are you doing any racing or just trail riding? and where are you riding at i do alot of jv barstowish type with some boulders. does it stick out past say like your boot would? do you notice any weight offset with it?

• Huffa 2

Posted August 07, 2006 - 01:30 PM

xrandwrrider are you doing any racing or just trail riding? and where are you riding at i do alot of jv barstowish type with some boulders. does it stick out past say like your boot would? do you notice any weight offset with it?

Most likely it steers to the left and tilts to the left when jumping. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.