XR650L Problem

7 replies to this topic
  • wobblylegs

Posted August 06, 2006 - 10:32 AM

I have recently had a problem with my bike (1995 XR650L with 350 miles). When I ride along, all of sudden I loose power than it comes back. This happens when I sometimes accelerate, when I am just cruising along or when I am traveling down a hill (maintaining throttle position). Valves appear OK. Checked electrics, appear OK. Carb appears OK. The bike is stock. It has no problem starting, hot or cold. It does not back fire at all. Any and all help. Thanks

• GIANTac1

Posted August 06, 2006 - 11:11 AM

Make sure your carb is clean and you have a properly adjusted pilot screw. No cloged fuel lines? Tried different gas or fresh gas? Is your air filter clean? Is your plug fouled? Have you looked at your ICM (ignition control module)? Take a look and get back with the results if you need more help. Everybody here will be more than happy to help. :thumbsup:

• justicedone

Posted August 06, 2006 - 01:19 PM

I had a similar problem years ago on an old Kawi'. It was a small screen in the fuel tank petcock that was clogged with some gunk. I took it off and cleaned it good ran perfect after that. I think I remember seeing a small mesh screen on my XR650L (o3) petcock when I changed my tank, but that was over a year ago...so cant recall. But its worth a quick check to remove petcock from tank and make sure all is clear.

Good luck

• wattner

Posted August 07, 2006 - 03:10 AM

Make sure the gas cap breather hole is clear and breathes...Sounds like vapor lock....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted August 07, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Do you lose all power (engine quits) or is there just a power reduction?

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 07, 2006 - 08:40 AM

Do you lose all power (engine quits) or is there just a power reduction?

thats my question too, does it act like you are turning the key off/ Or is it just getting a little lame in thepower department like it is starving for fuel or something like that please describe the feeling you get when it happens and itll be allot easier to diagnose! Thanks and good kluck!

Sniper X

• roadcam

Posted August 07, 2006 - 12:30 PM

with only 350 miles on a 1995 model, maybe it 'forgot' how to run ... :thumbsup:

• wobblylegs

Posted August 07, 2006 - 05:27 PM

Thanks eveyone for the help. I found out the issue. The oil pump. Sounds weird but. The canshaft and lifters are fried because of little oil getting to them. They overheated, wore away and well, loss of power. I had replaced the camshaft and parts recently because of power issue. I got stupid and didn't look further. After replacement I ran it 150 miles and then OUCH! he mileage is 3500 instead of 350.

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.