Clutch engages slightly with lever pulled in.

8 replies to this topic
  • Fordskin

Posted August 06, 2006 - 12:57 AM

When my bike is hot and in gear i notice it creeps with the lever pulled hard in. This happens mainly at idle in 1st and goes away when i rev it. Its near impossible to click it up into neutral. When i turn the bike off its real easy to get it into neutral. :thumbsup: Any idea's?

• Fordskin

Posted August 06, 2006 - 12:57 AM

650r by the way.

• jim1234

Posted August 06, 2006 - 04:57 AM

Does the bike have alot of hours, or hasn't had the oil changed often? If so the clutch basket might be getting notched. Look at the clutch basket if it has little ridges, that is you problem. You can file them down for a temp. fix. The right fix is to replace the basket.

• motopsycho650

Posted August 06, 2006 - 07:48 AM

If it's an 00-02 XR650R, make sure you check the clutch bushing to make sure it's the updated one. Here's the info on that: http://www.xr650r.us/issues/13.shtml

I would try changing the oil with some good 4-stroke oil, and try tighening the adjustment a little, but make sure you still have freeplay in the lever when it's out.

If none of that helps, I'd have to agree with jim1234, you've got some wear on the basket from either old oil, low oil, or having the clutch adjusted too tight. It may need a new clutch. If you have to dig in that deep, think about adding an extra pair of plates: http://www.xr650r.us/clutch/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fordskin

Posted August 08, 2006 - 05:46 AM

My bike is an 05 plated bike sold off the showroom floor in feb. Strange enough i've already had to replace the countershaft seal which was another pre- 2002 model problem. Now i've got the dodgy clutch and i'll bet its the imfamous clutch bushing pre-2002 model problem. Whats going on Honda? I can't see why i'm having these problems on an 05 plated bike! Very SUSPECT! :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted August 08, 2006 - 01:50 PM

I bought a 2003 in Novemer 2003 and it had both the 2000~2001 clutch bushing and counter shaft seal. In 2005 they did change the fork compression valve holes to be smaller 2002~2003 some had a thicker right side engine case but, other then that you could be getting parts from any year. I have no doubt somewhere in the world there is still a new 2000 bike just has a 2004 name plate.

• Fordskin

Posted August 21, 2006 - 02:41 AM

Just updating on the clutch problem. Jim 1234 was right. The basket had notches on it and the Honda mechanic filed them down. He also drilled holes in the basket to let in more oil. He said this is common problem with a lot of KTMs also. So it wasn't the bushing after all. The later model one was already in it he said. {i downloaded pages from the pig pen and gave it to him} Still strange how my countershaft seal went on my 05 though. :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 21, 2006 - 03:33 AM

Just updating on the clutch problem. Jim 1234 was right. The basket had notches on it and the Honda mechanic filed them down. He also drilled holes in the basket to let in more oil. He said this is common problem with a lot of KTMs also. So it wasn't the bushing after all. The later model one was already in it he said. {i downloaded pages from the pig pen and gave it to him} Still strange how my countershaft seal went on my 05 though. :thumbsup:

I don't think the counter shaft seal going out is as strange as the clutch basket notching on a new bike in less than a year.

The clutch is a weak point on the XR650R. They need heavier duty springs and possibly one more plate added as the Pig Pen suggests. Sitting at a light idling while holding the clutch in is supposed to really hard on the clutches since this is a dirt bike and is not designed for that kind of riding.

What I want to know more about is the holes he drilled in the clutch basket. Where did he drill them? How many holes did he drill and what size holes? That actually sounds like a worth while mod.

• Fordskin

Posted August 22, 2006 - 02:07 AM

Sorry i didn't get the details on exactly where he drilled them. I imagine somewhere near where the old ones are. I've never seen the basket myself. Apparently when the oil gets low the plates tend to dry out and the extra holes help. I have been holding the clutch in at traffic lights and maybe thats whats caused the notching. When i did my ride day to acquire my bike licence the instructor said that you should keep the clutch in at the lights so you can readily avoid any potential accident[oncoming i imagine]. Well he can stick that because i'm not going to keep shelling out for repairs. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.