'06 450F Rear Hub Broke

7 replies to this topic
  • brian389

Posted August 05, 2006 - 07:18 PM

OK guys. I broke my hub on my '04 from having the chain too tight, so have been extra careful with my '06-to no avail. Bike has about 30 hours on it, chain was adjusted correctly, just entered the track onto a table-top, so landed a little flat as I grabbed third gear, and the rear wheel locked. My broken hub looked exactly like the last guy's I saw in here. Busted neatly all the way around, near the spoke holes. Only guess is spokes were too tight, but again, after doing this before on my '04, I'm very, very careful with rear-wheel adjustments. So I know most believed the issue was chain too tight, but I guarantee this was not the case this time. I'm beginning to think the hubs on the 450's are just a little under-engineered. Ended up with a jammed knee (very lucky), but otherwise am fine. Don't worry, I'd never trade mine in for a Honda!

• kawirider

Posted August 05, 2006 - 07:40 PM

Sounds like it is time for you to get a spoke torque wrench and to start leaving your chain kinda loose.

• barch88

Posted August 05, 2006 - 07:45 PM

I don't use a spoke torque wrench, and I just tighten them sung. My chain is 2 finger slack and it seems perfect. Go 2 or 3 fingers under the chain @ rear slider bolt...that's about right for slack, depending on how big you're fingers are.

Sorry to hear about it man.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 06, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Were all lthe sprocket bolts still there? What amt of adjustment are you leaving in the chain slack - Barch is correct 3 fingers at the rear top chainslider.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SUnruh

Posted August 06, 2006 - 01:27 PM

3 fingers is on the tight side of the measurement. 2 would be way too tight.

hubs just don't explode.

• brian389

Posted August 06, 2006 - 06:25 PM

Sprocket bolts were fine. After the hub came apart, some were missing, but only where the hub cracked right down the middle of them. Chain was definately not too tight. I may have to get that spoke torque wrench. I've had 19 motorcycles previous to this one and never broke a hub. Gotta believe the torque of the 450's put everything under stress.

• Matt96xr6

Posted August 06, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Your sprocket bolts were loose or missing. This is what causes 90% of hub failures.

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2006 - 07:50 PM

Loose spokes would actually be more likely to cause a hub failure than excessively tight ones, but in that case, the hub would have failed by pulling all or part of the spoke flange away from the rest of the hub. Here, however the force has obviously been applied at the sprocket flange, and the hub broke at the weakest point between there and the bearing pockets, which is where the hub's resistance to that force originates.

The hub is the same part number as all YZ450/426 models at least as far back as the 2000 model year, possibly farther (2000 is as far as I went), so unless there has been a change in vendors or machining that is neither apparent or reflected in the part number, I'm going to have to agree with those who are suggesting a problem with chain tension being set too tight. The force that creates is potentially many times greater than the engine is capable of delivering.

The '06 is a different chassis, and the tension curve of the chain as the swing arm moves through its travel may well be different than that of earlier models. I would either run mine a bit loose ( I tend to, anyway), or compress the suspension through its entire range to check what the minimum tension adjustment really should be.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.