GPS power

9 replies to this topic
  • ksmyth

Posted August 05, 2006 - 12:43 PM

Are there any "hot" wires behind the headlight of an 04 wr450 that i can splice to power my Garmin GPS? or does everyone run wires straight back to the battery?

Thanks!

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 05, 2006 - 01:17 PM

Are there any "hot" wires behind the headlight of an 04 wr450 that i can splice to power my Garmin GPS? or does everyone run wires straight back to the battery?

Thanks!

Run it right off the battery. www.cycoactive.com has wireing kits to hook your gps up to your bike. Works great.

The Garmin gps's usualy can handle voltage from like 8volts to 35 volts I know my GPSV can.

• Bullwinkle

Posted August 05, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Thanks!

Is this a trick question - or am I just missing something? (This wouldn't be the first time!) Couldn't the GPS tap off the light circuit?
:thumbsup:

• PBDBLUE

Posted August 05, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Is this a trick question - or am I just missing something? (This wouldn't be the first time!) Couldn't the GPS tap off the light circuit?
:thumbsup:

Nope! The light circuit is AC so no go. There is 12 volts available at the ignition switch if you want to tap into that. I prefer to run a dedicated wire from the battery and put a standard 2 prong SAE connector on the end. I have a pigtail made up with the GPS connector on it and when it's not connected I plug a Battery Tender Jr into the SAE connector to keep the battery topped off.

• ksmyth

Posted August 05, 2006 - 07:22 PM

I like that idea of using it as a battery charge point as well. I havent found the exact adapter i need for my eTrex, but i will keep looking on that site. If all else fails, it sounds like i just need to attach some leads to my batter with a cigarette lighter adapter on the other end and i can plug in the car adapter i have and use it for dual purposes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bullwinkle

Posted August 06, 2006 - 06:22 AM

Nope! The light circuit is AC so no go. There is 12 volts available at the ignition switch if you want to tap into that. I prefer to run a dedicated wire from the battery and put a standard 2 prong SAE connector on the end. I have a pigtail made up with the GPS connector on it and when it's not connected I plug a Battery Tender Jr into the SAE connector to keep the battery topped off.

Like I said - I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed! :thumbsup: Thanks for the good idea.
:ride:

• ksmyth

Posted August 06, 2006 - 06:43 PM

so i did some research and i can't seem to find a connector for my Garmin eTrex that doesnt have the cigarette lighter deal. Does an adapter exist that does the 12v to 3v conversion with a staight two wires coming out?

• PBDBLUE

Posted August 06, 2006 - 07:54 PM

Give a call to Cycoactive (www.cycoactive.com). I thought they used to have one but don't see it on their website. You can always hack up a cig plug converter and hard wire it.

• Vader3d

Posted August 07, 2006 - 10:35 AM

I went to the hobby shop and got the components and made a 12vdc to 3vdc converter. Connected it on the battery and soldered a dean connector
for easy removal.

Works great.

http://www.wsdeans.c...ultra_plug.html

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 07, 2006 - 11:22 AM

I have an etrex. I bought the external 3v battery pack that holds C batteries.

http://www.cycoactiv...s_e.html#gce3vc

This thing lasts 8-10 rides with the same 2 C batteries. Just remember to unplug the power cord from the back of the gps before putting your bike away. There seems to be some sort of drain on the battery even when the unit is off.

Because of this, I never got around to wiring up the unit. besides, I always have to take it off to do the calibrations.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.