1996 XR600R - help needed

I just picked up a 1996 XR600 from a friend who had the bike sitting in a storage shed for the last few years (3 or 4 years maybe). He said it ran fine the last time he had it out. Before I decide to buy it though, I wanted to bring it home and check it out...basically try and get it running. Everything visably looks fine on the bike. However, there is some old, stinky fuel sitting in the bottom of the tank that I will need to drain out. I also want to change to oil, clean the air filter, and try to flush out the carb with some carb cleaner (I posted a thread awhile back and someone suggested I spray a bunch of carb cleaner into the carb and let it sit over night...then flush it the next day). I'll probably also put a new spark plug in the bike before I try to kick it over the first time. I don't have a repair manual, so I was wondering if someone could tell me:

1). How much, and what type of oil does this bike require for an oil change?

2). What is the best way to clean out the fuel tank before I put fresh fuel in

3). Without disassembling the whole carb, does the carb cleaner flush sound like a good plan? Is there an easy way to get to the carburator to spray the stuff into it?

Other than putting air into the tires (which I did already and they seem to hold just fine), is there anything else you would recommend doing to this bike before I try to start it up?

Thanks.

Jeff

If the owner did not drain the carb completely before he put it away then you have a mess on your hands. Use kerosene to clean the tank. Let it soak overnight then flush. The carb needs to be completely disassembled and cleaned with carb cleaner spray then compressed air. Drain and fill the engine with fresh oil, remove the plug and pour a shot in the cylinder. With the plug out kick the bike over a bunch of times to prime the oil pump and get oil up to the cam before starting.

DBM

Thanks for the info DBM...when you say a shot, do you mean of oil, carb cleaner, fuel? Sorry, I am not very mechanical. Also, this is another dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get the seat off the bike...anyone know how to do this? I took the side panels off, but there are no seat bolts that I can see.

Thanks for the info DBM...when you say a shot, do you mean of oil, carb cleaner, fuel? Sorry, I am not very mechanical. Also, this is another dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get the seat off the bike...anyone know how to do this? I took the side panels off, but there are no seat bolts that I can see.

Shot of oil to lubricate the cylinder on on startup.

Check that manual posted for the seat question.

And if you aren't very mechanical you don't want to be taking the carb off and disassembling it to clean. Take it to a shop for that. I'm just a little bit mechanical and carbs still make me nervous. ?

Was the 96 the one with purple graphics? If so I owned one of those.

I took the bike into a local shop yesterday, and after $300 got a full service tune up and a clean carb (they said the carb was in pretty bad shape from sitting for a few years, but they cleaned it up nicely). The bike kicks over just fine now, and I took it for a short ride this afternoon. It's a loud bike, as it has a White Bros exhaust on it, and the bike feels awfully big and tall. I mainly ride a Suzuki DR650, and my Suzuki feels much smaller than this Honda 600. So, now that it's running, I think I'll be selling it and keep my DR for the time being. I'll post pics tomorrow. I really need to get $1850 for the bike, so hopefully ebay and the local cycle trader will be able to get it sold. Has anyone bought a 1996 XR600 lately, and if so, what are the going prices?

I am in Gilbert (Phoenix suburb). My riding is mostly dirt roads, fire roads, an occasional old forest road with lots of boulders and such. But mostly just easy off-roading. When Winter arrives I'll be doing some desert riding, but that will again be mostly gravel/dirt roads and such. Nothing extreme.

• 2 weeks later...

The seat bolts are in the rear bottom of the seat, inside and above the front of the rear fender. They are a 13mm head, 8mm 1.25 thread. about 12mm long, and have a washer on them. They are in a couple of tabs that are part of the seat base, and obvious when you look where I told you they are. Put in 2 qts of quality oil, oil filter, and then on the carb for a quick cleanup, just loosen both the clamps, the one on the intake manifold, and the one to the air box, swivel the carb to the laft as you are sitting on the bike, then take off the fuel bowl screws from the right side of the bike, remove the jets, floats and float valve, clean all of them reassemble, then tighten the carb back where it goes. Puy in over a gallon of quality mid grade or higher fule, turn on the petcoce, kick the starter thru till it stops. Then pull in the decompressor, kick the starter very very slowly till it moves about half an inch, then let go of the decompressor, and give her a good honest boot! It should fire right off after a few kicks, following this ritual with the decompressor, and NOT EVER giving it ANY throttle while doing this...this is ver important. You will NOT need choke or half choke unless it is very lean hetting or it is under about 45 degrees F.

If it doesnt fire off, let me knwo and well start the trouble shooting process. Good luck and let me know how it works out.....

I took the bike into a local shop yesterday, and after $300 got a full service tune up and a clean carb (they said the carb was in pretty bad shape from sitting for a few years, but they cleaned it up nicely). The bike kicks over just fine now, and I took it for a short ride this afternoon. It's a loud bike, as it has a White Bros exhaust on it, and the bike feels awfully big and tall. I mainly ride a Suzuki DR650, and my Suzuki feels much smaller than this Honda 600. So, now that it's running, I think I'll be selling it and keep my DR for the time being. I'll post pics tomorrow. I really need to get $1850 for the bike, so hopefully ebay and the local cycle trader will be able to get it sold. Has anyone bought a 1996 XR600 lately, and if so, what are the going prices?

1850 for a 96 is medium~high unless it is in excellent to perfect condition. So not bad really if like I said, it is in excellent condition.