SM wheels for stock hubs

8 replies to this topic
  • Nashty

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:04 PM

I'm getting a WR 426 or 450 here in the next week or so and want to street drive it after I make it a super motard-er.

I like the 17" front wheel, where can I get just the wheels and spokes (reasonably) for both front and rear?

Also, who makes a nice front fender?

TIA,

Roger

• 06WR450FSM

Posted August 04, 2006 - 10:19 AM

I suggest that you spend some time in the supermoto section of TT and check out www.supermotojunkie.com.

Are you planning to have your stock hubs relaced into 17" rims? That will save $ versus buying complete new wheels like I did (but I use the stock wheels for dirt riding). On the other hand, it may be better to look for a used SM wheelset on eBay or supermotojunkie and just sell your dirt wheels. My wheels were made by RAD manufacturing. Other places are Motostrano, White Brothers, and East Coast Wheels.

I suggest you get a Vapor computer so that you can watch your water temperature (rpm graph is nice too). I was shocked to see how cold the engine is running on the highway - bad for lubrication and engine life. I now have my radiators almost completely blocked off to get the engine into the right operating temperature range.

There is quite a bit of special setup for supermoto, especially with accomodating the 120 mm front and 150 or 160 mm rear tire widths. So do your research up front. I have a lot of hours invested in my SM conversion.

• Turismo

Posted August 04, 2006 - 02:06 PM

I was shocked to see how cold the engine is running on the highway - bad for lubrication and engine life. I now have my radiators almost completely blocked off to get the engine into the right operating temperature range.

Interesting......
Have you got any info on operating temps?

M.

• 06WR450FSM

Posted August 04, 2006 - 04:33 PM

Interesting......
Have you got any info on operating temps?

M.

Yes - with unobscured radiators the water temp is only about 60F above ambient, so 140F when it is 80 outside. I think water temp of 180 to 200 seams like a nice operating range since oil is probably meant to operate at about 212F (100C). I feel bad that I rode in 35F temperatures earlier this year - 6500 rpm under load on the highway with <100F water temp seems bad.

I am getting around 90F above ambient with the radiators 60% covered which is fine for hot afternoons. I am going for about 85% coverage for the next morning commute. Since that is about 60F, I want >100F increase.

Right now I am just blocking both radiators with 9" tall by 4" wide cardboard for 60% coverage and 5.5" wide for 85%.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nashty

Posted August 04, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Well, the bike is in my garage tonight. Could you tell me what exactly I'm going to need to do to get the wider tires to fit? Offset sprockets? Swingarm modification? How about the front. New triple trees?

Who makes and where can I find just the wheels and spokes. Too much money for even the used stuff I've found. Cheaper to buy used tires and rims off ebay.

• 06WR450FSM

Posted August 04, 2006 - 09:30 PM

Front: trim the lower fork protectors so that it doesn't get trapped between the 120 mm wide tire and the bottom of the upper fork leg as the suspension compresses (could be a fatal event). Next, either remove the nylon rub sleeves (wrong name?) from the bottom of the upper tubes or trim the edges of the tire with a razor. My Maxxis M6118 tires were exactly the width of the space between those sleeves. I trimmed the tire, but next time I'll take the sleeves off.

Back: Don't buy a 150 or wider Dunlop tire. They are too wide. Most other 150/60-17s work along with some narrow 160s, like my Maxxis M6119. Also stick with a 4.25 or 4.50" wide rim. 5.00" makes the tire too wide for our bikes. Most people buy a 4.25" Excel rim for the back. Dish the wheel to the right so that you have at least 0.3" clearance from the chain. I also trimmed the left edge of the rear tire to reduce the necessary dishing. I'll keep doing that with each rear tire I buy. Avoid spacing the spocket with washers.

Supermotojunkie.com is a good place to research this stuff. The supermoto forum here may be good too, but I don't know because I figured the things out before joining this forum. I'm sure you can find wheel builder recommendations. You can lace your own wheels too - it's easier than bicycle wheels since the rims are so much stiffer.

I run 15/42 gearing with my 17" wheels.

• aford541

Posted August 05, 2006 - 09:03 PM

I think the front fender they use is off of a ttr125

• Turismo

Posted August 05, 2006 - 09:22 PM

I think the front fender they use is off of a ttr125

Nah, don't think so.
You can buy supermoto specific front fenders. :thumbsup:
Yamaha even have one, as seen in this kit:
http://www.yamaha-mo...ion&ProdID=3497

Aserbis and cycras make supermoto front fenders, I am sure every other plastics manufacturer does as well.

• Nashty

Posted August 06, 2006 - 10:47 AM

But where can I but just the rims, spokes and nips from?

How much are these items seperately?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.