pipe turning funny colors

9 replies to this topic
  • quailboy

Posted August 03, 2006 - 05:35 PM

so i got a FMF powerbomb ti header and after installing it and it got warmed up it turned a purply color. now after about 10 hours on it its turning a blueish color does this mean i'm running to hot or mean anything at all except what new pipes do?

• Markopolo400

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:37 PM

It's normal.

• Reyndogg

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Must be your first Ti pipe :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:48 PM

It's normal.

Yep, it's normal.

• quailboy

Posted August 04, 2006 - 06:26 AM

ok thanks just wanted to make sure it wasnt running to hot or something. its my first race bike and first performance exhaust. thanks for not making me feel really stupid. does it go back to normal color after awhile?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motobeck

Posted August 04, 2006 - 06:44 AM

Nope, it stays blue/purple. Ain't titanium cool!

• grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2006 - 08:22 AM

Mine stays mostly yellow and purple once it's cooled off, and blue clear to the can while it's running hard. That's how Ti is. The blue and the purple are my favorites. Stainless has a different color palette. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the bend in the header will eventually turn a dull gray/brown up to the "bomb".

One of the things that makes people think this is abnormal is that most MC exhaust systems on road and play bikes, and even off-road and MX bikes until recently, are usually steel, and finished somehow, like with paint or chrome, rather than left bare. The Japanese long ago started building double walled pipes for their road bikes so that the chrome wouldn't turn colors. It also hid the fact that the right size pipe for good performance was a lot smaller than the American public expected to see, but that's another thing.

• quailboy

Posted August 04, 2006 - 04:31 PM

thanks for your help. i learned something new today that makes me feel a lot better about my bike.

• yzf450jack

Posted August 04, 2006 - 08:27 PM

Turn off the lights and see it glow in the dark :thumbsup:

• One Louder

Posted August 06, 2006 - 09:56 AM

I love riding at dusk and seeing my Big Gun header glowing :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.