426 aftermarket tank recommendation?

8 replies to this topic
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted August 03, 2006 - 01:11 PM

I need to put a bigger tank on my '02 426...any good/bad experiences out there? Clark, IMS, Acerbis? Is the hot start knob still accesible or will I have to get a remote? Thanks for any tips!

• yzfrider03

Posted August 03, 2006 - 03:22 PM

I have a Clark and i like it. I can still get to my hot start. Only thing is the tank goes down far on both sides around the engine. On the stock petcock side it doesnt go down as far as the other, so i had problems getting fuel from the opposite side(because it goes down farther and doesnt really make it up over the hump and into the otherside of te tank) so i put another petcock in on the lower side. I also have the stock tank because i dont use the big tank that much. Good luck Also get the natural clear color so you can see how much fuel you have.

• yogist

Posted August 03, 2006 - 04:26 PM

I have the Blue Clarke....Hot start is accessible...got to dig a little for the choke but its doable...Its been great, Im pleased with it..

• Milhaus

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I have the Clarke also and as was said above, Hot start is easy, choke is a bit more difficult. 3.3 gallons is nice to have!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kyle Prior

Posted August 03, 2006 - 08:04 PM

Go with the IMS, it doesnt discolor, and the weight is a lot lower, because it hangs down lower. It does come with a fuel switch relocation bracket, and 2 petcocks, so the entire tank can be drained. I strongly feel that IMS is the way to go, it holds 3.4 gallons.

• targetdrone

Posted August 04, 2006 - 08:17 PM

Check out my garage for my opinions about the Acerbis. I'd go for the IMS if I were buying one new. I got mine used off of E-bay.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 05, 2006 - 11:43 AM

Go with the IMS. It is a much better engineered tank.

http://www.thumperta...ight=IMS Clarke

http://www.thumperta...ight=IMS Clarke

• FTT

Posted August 08, 2006 - 09:01 PM

I recently bounght the IMS for my 02. It is nice, a bit of a pain to get to the choke, not to bad on the hot start. I have noticed that the tip of the kickstarter is digging in to the tank where it hits as it goes back into its notch though.

I like it and I'd buy it again. The petcock gasket sucked and I ended up using silicone instead.

• Kyle Prior

Posted August 08, 2006 - 10:11 PM

I just got my IMS and installed it today. It is very high quality, and I didn't have any problems. The new petcock gasket worked great for me, and with the new fuel line they give, everything looks factory. My kickstart doesnt touch the tank, and plastics line up perfectly, even with the Devol radiator guards I have. I bought this from the TT store (in person), and got excellent service and a top notch product.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.