Pivot Works Fork Seal/Bushing Kit

14 replies to this topic
  • yz250fmx22y

Posted August 03, 2006 - 11:31 AM

I wanted to get the Pivot Works fork seal/bushing kit for my 2006 YZ450F in Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited Catalogs theres no listing for my bike I was wondering if anyone knew if the 2005 YZ450F Kit would fit on my 2006? If not what other manufacteurs make good fork seal kits that I should get? I wanted the pivot works because it comes with everything the seals,wipers, and bushings.

• WFOracer

Posted August 03, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Call up enzo or someone, they tell you if there's a difference.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 03, 2006 - 11:46 AM

I say put stock Yamaha stuff in it.

• WFOracer

Posted August 03, 2006 - 11:50 AM

I say put stock Yamaha stuff in it.

Agreed!

• yamaha314

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:10 PM

I had just installed Pivot Works seals, bushings, wipers in my '05 450F. I've been having trouble with the right leg blowing out within just a few rides each time they are changed. Used different brands each time. The Pivot Works seal in the right leg leaked immediately, then the left leg started leaking the very next ride. JUNK. Finally had the forks professionally done last weekend and he said he would not stand behind Pivot Works seals if someone requested him to install them and he has heard from several sources that Pivot Works seals are prone to leaking. He found no real issues with either leg that would cause a leak other than a very, very minr nick in the right leg inner tube.

• jamiehughes

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:59 PM

if you used different brands each other time(sounds numerous) i don't know if you can really call the pivot works seals pieces of crap, since obviously with the exception of maybe operator error,the other brands seemed to leak also. maybe it was more than just a little nick(doesn't take much). i have also had good luck with oem seals. just the seals and bearings through any dealer are just a joke to buy individually. will cost you 2 or 3 times what the pivot works kits cost. i've had to replace fork seals many times and some swing arm and linkage bearings before, but never everything before. if it was that bad either someone needs to learn how to perform routine maintenance or you hopefully just bought the bike used..

• Ga426owner

Posted August 04, 2006 - 09:02 AM

http://www.pivotworks.com/ call them to ask

I been using both OEM and pivot works...they both are fine, none better than the other :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf450jack

Posted August 04, 2006 - 06:48 PM

How are you sliding the new seal on the fork leg You can kill the seal just trying to get it past the bushing groove :applause: Get a plastic bag and put it over the leg oil it up and then slide the new seal on :thumbsup: Oh and use a seal driver :ride: MotionPro has them for about $25.00

• jamiehughes

Posted August 04, 2006 - 08:12 PM

electrical tape works also to put over the rough parts the seal has to slide over. that's what i have always used.. no big problems over the years.

• yz250fmx22y

Posted August 04, 2006 - 09:11 PM

I'm just going to run all OEM parts hopefully they wont go again as quick as these fork seals just went. What Fork Oil should I run? The stock Yamaha or Maxima Fork oil or what? Whats the stock Yamaha oil and how much in each fork tube?

• barch88

Posted August 04, 2006 - 09:24 PM

I'm just going to run all OEM parts hopefully they wont go again as quick as these fork seals just went. What Fork Oil should I run? The stock Yamaha or Maxima Fork oil or what? Whats the stock Yamaha oil and how much in each fork tube?

BelRay makes good fork oil, Maxima is good, and Yamaha is good...check out the suspension fourms for more info on the oil. As for how much, check you're manual.

• jamiehughes

Posted August 05, 2006 - 04:16 AM

i like the pro circut oil. seems to not get so dirty and trashed soo soon.

• crashyz426

Posted August 05, 2006 - 11:12 AM

Personally I think that using OEM parts is just a waste of hard earned money. Ive never used OEM parts cuz I cant afford them, and laugh when they tell me how much the damn things cost. I dont go to the dealer for anything and have never really had much trouble. Most of my parts come form chapparrell or rocky mountain or ebay, and I pay about half for any given part from the dealer

• yzf450jack

Posted August 05, 2006 - 12:59 PM

You got that right!

• overrev

Posted August 07, 2006 - 06:11 AM

I must agree, on the pivot works seal kit failure
It would be unfair to fault a failed part, when all other parts failed as well
sounds like there are equipment/installation issues

there was no mention of how long the "professional" job lasted????

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.