2000 xr 600 stock gas tank needed

10 replies to this topic
  • brents37chev

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:16 AM

Hi-
I'm looking for a stock gas tank for my 2000 xr 600 that is the correct red color.

I purchased this bike used and the guy before me decided to put on custom graphics and cut them out on the tank. Needless to say he cut a little to deep in 2 areas. These cuts are about a inch long, I have seen the plastic welders, is that a permanent fix?

I would prefer another good used gas tank at a reasonable price if anyone has one.
Thanks,

Brent

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Sorry, only have an extra white one, but they look really cool on a red bike, old school. It is off a 96 but Ill bet it is exactly the same save for coloure!

• brents37chev

Posted August 03, 2006 - 08:21 AM

Thanks, that might be an option. I guess a white tank would match the side number plates. If you want to give a price, description of condition, and a pic, let me know.
Brent

• brents37chev

Posted August 03, 2006 - 09:21 AM

Well, I just got done giving the plastic welding a try.. and it worked!
I used a soldering gun with a wide tip that is used for stained glass. I removed all the gas, blew compressed air into the tank for 10 or 15 min trying to evaporate the gas. cleaned the outside of the tank and crack with brake cleaner or acetone.
With the cut being so sharp I did not have to use any filler rod. The suggestions I have is to know how thick your plastic is, and be willing to ruin it. I started off pressing the tank inward to reduce the bulge outward from the cuts. I applied the iron onto the plastic and made circular motions over the crack over lapping it by about 1/8 inch on each side in some key areas. Like tack welding sheetmetal, then I proceeded to make a light weld over the entire length of the cut not letting it get too hot. once I sealed the crack I went back over the entire thing again, but a little wider and deeper into the plastic. I would guess close to 3/4 of the thickness of the plastic. The plastic wants to push away from the iron, put while the plastic is still hot I folded it back into the weld with the iron.
The only thing I would of done different is clean the tip of the iron alot better or start with a fresh one. Even tho I cleaned the tip well it seemed to flake a little and put black specs in the weld. I would compare plastic welding to torch type welding with oxy/acetelyne, circular motions over the crack, get good penetration, and make the weld wide to get plastic material melted at least 1/8 inch wider on each side so you can fold new plastic in the crack.
Hopefully it will not be to brittle in this area and crack again, but it got me back on the road till I find a replacement.

I'm still looking for a tank....
Later,
Brent

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 03, 2006 - 01:47 PM

Thanks, that might be an option. I guess a white tank would match the side number plates. If you want to give a price, description of condition, and a pic, let me know.
Brent

Excellent condition, has a petcock, and youd need your stock mounts off the one you have now. It has XR and Honda stock stickers on it. Ill email you a pic if you give me your email address. How bout $80.00 plus shipping of about 15.00? A new clarke is $170.00, plus you have to pay shipping and an Acerbis is about $210.00.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 03, 2006 - 01:54 PM

Brent

Excellent condition, has a petcock, and youd need your stock mounts off the one you have now. It has XR and Honda stock stickers on it. Ill email you a pic if you give me your email address. How bout $80.00 plus shipping of about 15.00? A new clarke is $170.00, plus you have to pay shipping and an Acerbis is about $210.00.

• Jon-D

Posted August 03, 2006 - 06:48 PM

Is this a 4 gallon tank? If so, I would be interested if brents37chev is not.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 04, 2006 - 07:13 AM

Is this a 4 gallon tank? If so, I would be interested if brents37chev is not.

I think so, it was stock on the 92-99 or so I beleive. I have pics I took last night, email me at sniperx@netscape.com and Ill send ta the pics.

• brents37chev

Posted August 04, 2006 - 10:00 AM

Hi-
Thanks for the postings, I sent you an email for the pictures.
Your saying this is a 4 gallon tank and it was stock for 92-99? I thought that Honda's
deal with gas tank capability was around 100 miles on all xr's .. That is what I heard anyway. I think mines is 2.1 or 2.3 gallon.
I look forward to the pics and we will go from there.
THANKS!
Brent

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 04, 2006 - 11:15 AM

While we are on the subject of tanks, here are the before and after versions of my project Desert Sled XR630R, the ugly pic is of course before I made and installed the stripes,...keeping it old school!

http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=6362

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 04, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Hi-
Thanks for the postings, I sent you an email for the pictures.
Your saying this is a 4 gallon tank and it was stock for 92-99? I thought that Honda's
deal with gas tank capability was around 100 miles on all xr's .. That is what I heard anyway. I think mines is 2.1 or 2.3 gallon.
I look forward to the pics and we will go from there.
THANKS!
Brent

Photos sent Brent...hey that rhymes!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.