yz400f Valve Check/Adjustment

4 replies to this topic
  • Markopolo400

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Well, I am not sure if my 400 has ever has it's valves checked (Estimated 60 original hrs on bike). Yet it still starts first kick, and runs flawlessly.

I am checking the valves, and in the manual, it says to drain the coolant, and take off the rads for more room.

Is this nesscesary?

I really don't think it is, and I don't wan't to go out and get more coolant.

• FlashGordon

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:46 PM

No, you don't need to do that. But get a feeler gauge that is not very wide. It is easier to fit it in there. Also, when measuring, force in the largest one that will fit when measuring the upper and lower range. Getting the right size shims can be a pain, but once it is adjusted, you'll find it takes a long time before it goes out of spec again. Now if you had a Honda, you'd need to buy a shim set.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Markopolo400

Posted August 03, 2006 - 11:53 AM

Ok, thanks.

My feeler guage is pretty slim, so it should be fine.

• PK

Posted August 04, 2006 - 12:29 AM

With the YZ400's, you generally don't see valve problems because they use the steel valves stock. You should get a bucket load of hours out of that bike if you take care of it. Still a great idea to check the valves so you know where you stand.

• Markopolo400

Posted August 04, 2006 - 07:59 AM

Well, 4 out of 5 of my valves are too tight.

As far as I know, this is the first time in 8 years that they've checked.

I'll throw new shims in it this weekend.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.