WC Radiator cages?

8 replies to this topic
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted August 02, 2006 - 02:53 PM

I just ordered up a set and wonder if you guys have tried them out and if they are as rock solid as they advertise.

• Troutman

Posted August 02, 2006 - 04:09 PM

Red - Sorry, I mean Von! I just installed a set, they are very, very solid but offer no frontal puncture protection. I also installed a set of Devols on my brothers 06 250F and they did offer frontal puncture protection but felt like tin foil compared to the WC cages. I am happy with the WC's because I ride mostly track where side impacts are the most prevalent, but trail riders may have different priorities.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 02, 2006 - 04:17 PM

I'm track only and from what I've seen the braces don't do anything for side impacts so these look like the ticket. The stock front guards should protect the front of the radiators just fine. Do the cages look like they'll prevent twist as well?

• Troutman

Posted August 02, 2006 - 05:55 PM

I'm track only and from what I've seen the braces don't do anything for side impacts so these look like the ticket. The stock front guards should protect the front of the radiators just fine. Do the cages look like they'll prevent twist as well?

In my opinion they will prevent a twist top over bottom or bottom over top, but Yamaha designed the rads to flex front to back a little in a semi rigid mount. The WC cages do have rubber stoppers on them to try and keep some front to back flex, which I think is a good thing, but the cages are so stout that they really stiffen that front to back flex up and they become almost solid. The WC's took much longer to install than the Devols because you have to trim the stock louvers to fit around the support bars but its a piece of cake. I have never seen a design close to the WC's but I think you will like them because they seem so solid! But only a big nasty will prove it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted August 03, 2006 - 05:38 AM

yes rock solid like Mr. Troutman said.

• yamaha314

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:16 PM

I just smashed my left side radiator in a big nasty high side slam dunk with the original WC braces in place. I like the idea of the new WC cages and want them! Where to get?

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 07, 2006 - 08:04 AM

I put some WC cages on as well as a glide plate on Saturday and I'm glad I did. I managed to lose the front end around a fast sweeper within the first three laps on Saturday night. Then I dumped it again in a left hand turn so both sides got a workout. The cages are as solid as can be. I hit the ground pretty hard and there was no damage to the radiators whatsoever. I destroyed my brand new spider grips :ride: but I guess that's why I bought two sets. I also managed to bend my clutch lever over my fingers, these levers must be made out of lead or something. I couldn't beleive I did it and didn't break my fingers. Anyway, I highly recommend the cages. These things are tough! :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted August 07, 2006 - 12:28 PM

I put some WC cages on as well as a glide plate on Saturday and I'm glad I did. I managed to lose the front end around a fast sweeper within the first three laps on Saturday night. Then I dumped it again in a left hand turn so both sides got a workout. The cages are as solid as can be. I hit the ground pretty hard and there was no damage to the radiators whatsoever. I destroyed my brand new spider grips :applause: but I guess that's why I bought two sets. I also managed to bend my clutch lever over my fingers, these levers must be made out of lead or something. I couldn't beleive I did it and didn't break my fingers. Anyway, I highly recommend the cages. These things are tough! :thumbsup:

I went down hard without any rad cages and I'm lucky their still solid, but I always tear grips when I fall...but I only fell 2 times so I guess it's not all that bad. :applause: My clutch lever is also tweaked from the falls, time for a ASV. :ride:

• motodave289

Posted August 07, 2006 - 06:25 PM

I installed cages and trimmed shrouds. Now seems to be wider at shroud and my boot hooks in end of shroud. Any one else have a problem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.