06 YZ450 - throttle question

5 replies to this topic
  • x2stroker

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:52 AM

Hey Guys - I picked up an 06!!! :thumbsup: The bike is awesome! But, one thing I am having a hard time adjusting to is the throttle sensitivity. It seems like it needs a firmer spring on the throttle cable. If I'm cruising at a steady speed, I have a hard time of maintaining a consistent speed. Has anyone else experienced this? I am comparing it to my 03 450.... but, it really seems touchy. Cheers!

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:36 AM

I run mine with zero slop. I adjust it while the bike is running. I start it out loose and while the bike is running, I tighten the cable until the revs start coming up, then I back it off a little. I have no idea how people run with throttle slack, but whenever I ride a bike like that I do the same thing, blippy on the throttle. Other than that, I would just have to suggest working on your throttle control.

• x2stroker

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Thanks - but I don't think it's the "slop", there is no play. It just feels like the throttle is just too easy to turn. Maybe it's just me.... I'll adjust the cable as you suggested and see if that helps. Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:17 AM

If the fork compression is too stiff or the rebound is too fast it could be contributing to overall harshness over small chop. Maybe try softening the compression a little and see if that helps with your throttle control. If that helps but you want more, try slowing the rebound some. Don't go too far from your current setting or you could negatively effect things. You don't want to sacrifice good suspension action for "ham fisted throttle control". :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2006 - 09:47 AM

The throttle does seem lighter than the one on the '03 to me, too. I've more or less adapted to it, even as little as I get to ride the bike. If you feel like you need to make it stiffer, you'll have to do something about getting an older throttle shaft return spring, or move the anchor point to increase its preload. Be careful in modifying anything to do with the throttle linkage.

It may be a better idea just to try to get used to it.

• x2stroker

Posted August 02, 2006 - 10:01 AM

Thanks, Grayracer - I haven't had it to the track yet but I noticed it just putting in the yard. I'll get a few days testing on the track and try to get used to it. I usually make matters worse when I start tinkering with things. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.