What is the difference between snow and MX goggles?

14 replies to this topic
  • Pitscar

Posted August 01, 2006 - 08:31 PM

Hey guys

I cant believe no one has asked this before (I searched long and hard), but what really prevents me from using my snow goggles with an MX helmet?

Seriously, I am out buying gear right now and trying to save money where I can. I have a good snowboarding background and lots of goggles already that I wouldnt mind donating to the new helmet (when it comes :thumbsup: ). I pick up my bike this weekend by the way (old DR350 for trail riding and some street use)

Thanks

• yzfoxrider04

Posted August 01, 2006 - 08:37 PM

I heard it works good in the winter cause they're anti fog

• Pitscar

Posted August 01, 2006 - 08:57 PM

Hey whaddaya know, that was my first post...

I take it then that its mainly the venting and sweat-wicking that seperates them? Or is it actual fit from the helmet sticking out from your face too?

• forum33

Posted August 01, 2006 - 09:38 PM

I think the snow goggles are more vented and cause dust to get in your eyes through the vents.

• Quick Draw

Posted August 02, 2006 - 12:14 AM

Snow goggles would work I suppose... I prefer to keep my different goggles seperate however....don't ask me why. When I buy goggles for skiing, I usually find the pair with the biggest vents, and that might not be good for dirt biking.

• mcoulter

Posted August 02, 2006 - 04:02 AM

Having had many pairs of ski goggles I can say that they're scratched much more easily than mx goggles...

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Usually the insulated double paned lens is the major difference.
Dwight

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beast Monkey

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:41 AM

Pitscar--as a poor college kid in your same position, use the snow goggles. I have all of my riding career, over 5 years, and I can honestly say it doesnt make much difference. If you are used to being careful and keeping your snow goggles from fogging, you'll be fine. I use cheap pairs, clear lenses, because they will get badly scratched eventually and you'll have to replace them. They fit fine inside the helmet. I've used both tinted oakley O frames (bad for dense woods), and currently a $20 pair of clear Scotts.

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:47 AM

Scott and Smith sell the best goggles. Oakley should stick to selling sunglasses in the malls. I don't believe Scott sells a $20 goggle. Cheapest Scott is $24.95 srp, and the cheapest Smith is $20.95 srp. BUT, I would move up a couple models as the benefits are well worth the extra.
IMHO,
Dwight

• DRZ400Squid

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:14 AM

Snow goggles work fine, so go ahead and use em.

But, in the long run, go ahead and drop a few duckets on some higher end goggles. Like Dwight said, the benifints are usualy worth it and, after the initial purchase, you should be able to get a year or 2 out of the frames.

This way you only have to replace lenses a few times a year(or more if you're anal about scratches), which run around $10 give or take, instead of spending $20-30 on lower end goggles just as often.

• PigPenKLX450

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:47 AM

I have some really nice snow goggles I bought a few years ago and they dont work with my helmet its the shape I guess they are too big or something.

• Pitscar

Posted August 03, 2006 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I have about 8 pairs of snow goggles right now, 4 of which are garbage (well, they work good, but they're sacrificeable and super cheap) so I'll be using those for the time being:) Really good to know.

• Merc1212

Posted August 04, 2006 - 05:16 AM

I had a friend who wore snow goggles while riding his dual sport around and a rock came off a truck went through the goggle and struck him in the eye (I'll try and upload the pic later). The Dr and many others had never seen something like that before so it made me wonder if MX goggles have better impact resistance then snow goggles ... after all, you don't see many rocks coming off the back end of your buddies skis/snowboard at 60mph.

Just a thought.

• BlackWidow

Posted August 04, 2006 - 10:34 AM

Buy these, They are cheep, and they vent really good.

http://www.rockymoun...ds&navType=type

• Pitscar

Posted August 05, 2006 - 09:38 AM

I had a friend who wore snow goggles while riding his dual sport around and a rock came off a truck went through the goggle and struck him in the eye (I'll try and upload the pic later). The Dr and many others had never seen something like that before so it made me wonder if MX goggles have better impact resistance then snow goggles ... after all, you don't see many rocks coming off the back end of your buddies skis/snowboard at 60mph.

Just a thought.

This was my main concern when asking the question - however, there seems to be little information out there about this.

I assume any goggle with a lens that is interchangeable will be susceptible to this. Browsing even the individual manufacturer websites, no one says anything about impact resistant lens's - just scratch resistant. Makes me a bit hesitant.

Oh, I've got a nice stiff tree branch right in the face a couple times and the goggle definitely saved my eyes :thumbsup: (snowboarding) Enough to knock me head over heels backwards, but not enough to knock a lens out. I imagine a 90MPH missle like a rock off a truck tire is a different story though!

Related Content

Wiki
Shane Watts Video Riding Tip: Compression Hop Launch Technique - last post by Shane Watts

Shane Watts Video Riding Tip: Compression Hop Launch Technique

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Wiki

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Cliff Riding by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Excessive engine braking? by Scralatchtica824

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  34 replies
Wiki
Line Selection with Rich Lafferty Riding Schools - last post by Rich Lafferty

Line Selection with Rich Lafferty Riding Schools

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.