Cooling fan available for WR 400/426/450?

15 replies to this topic
  • hartzpad

Posted August 01, 2006 - 07:47 PM

I've been riding a lot of singletrack, technical trails lately and with my Trailtech Vapor, I'm able to see how high the coolant temps are going. They have on occasion hit 230 degrees F, not the end of the world. I have also noticed that when waiting on the trail for a friend or waiting at a stoplight while idling, my bike heats up really fast.

Is there an electric fan for the WR radiators such as the one that KTM's can use? I would really like to add one for piece of mind especially as I do more slow technical trails and hit the dunes more regularly where sand can really heat up your bike.

Anyone added a fan?

KTM fan
Posted Image

• moab39

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:01 AM

I have also been thinking about a fan. does the stock stator have enough juice? I was thinking of putting in a switch to turn off the headlight and use the juice on the fan when needed, It seems like a good idea when on tight trails or gnarly hill climbs. Also has any one wrapped the header under the radiator, it seems as if alot of heat must transfer?

• Turismo

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:05 AM

If the stator didn't have enough juice, you can get a trail tech flywheel that will boost the power output.

I think you could get a KTM kit to work if you looked into it.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:18 AM

I did it. Read about it here: http://www.farplaces...radiatorfan.htm

• hartzpad

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:38 AM

I have also been thinking about a fan. does the stock stator have enough juice? I was thinking of putting in a switch to turn off the headlight and use the juice on the fan when needed, It seems like a good idea when on tight trails or gnarly hill climbs. Also has any one wrapped the header under the radiator, it seems as if alot of heat must transfer?

I'm not sure if the stator puts out enough juice. I've found that my stator won't even power my horn at idle, but once I give it just a little bit of throttle (at least 2000 rpm) the horn works really well.

I've also thought about the header putting heat into the right side radiator because it sits about an inch directly above the radiator and the head piper gets cherry red with heat sometimes.

• Turismo

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:19 AM

I did it. Read about it here: http://www.farplaces...radiatorfan.htm

Great effort!!!
You could try another fan in there as well from the looks of it.

• Turismo

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:20 AM

hartzpad, sounds like you need to recharge your battery!

• hartzpad

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:12 AM

hartzpad, sounds like you need to recharge your battery!

No battery, mine is a WR426 and I don't have turn signals or a battery (not required in Utah for plate)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 234gearwheelie

Posted August 02, 2006 - 12:28 PM

I think i read somewere you can use an ordinary PC fan as they use little power and are now available from 80mm through to 120mm very cheaply?

• Turismo

Posted August 02, 2006 - 02:48 PM

No battery, mine is a WR426 and I don't have turn signals or a battery (not required in Utah for plate)

I understand!!! :thumbsup:

• agustin

Posted August 03, 2006 - 03:24 AM

Hello to all from Spain.

Cooling fan for WR

• johnnyjeep

Posted August 03, 2006 - 03:47 AM

that looke like a nice set up.

John in Vegas

• albertlui

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Computer fan doesn't water proof. Is it a problem? :thumbsup:

• 06WR450FSM

Posted August 03, 2006 - 10:34 AM

Good ideas on a fan! My Vapor showed me that our bikes run seriously cold on the highway, so I have blocked off most of the radiator area - and still not running hot, except at a string of lights in the afternoon. A switch operated fan would be great...

Just what I need, another custom mod to my bike.

• 5valve

Posted August 03, 2006 - 11:28 PM

Hello to all from Spain.

Cooling fan for WR

is that KTM fan?
Othervise, very nice, all three setups.

Computer fan doesn't water proof. Is it a problem? :thumbsup:

I have one installed, driven in rain, washed with pressure cleaner, still working OK.
It just doesnt have the rpm's as the moto specific fan does.

• snakesausage

Posted August 18, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Yup it is a KTM fan... I have wanted this for a while. I have to stop quite often to wait for the rest of my group to catch up (I am not that fast, they are just slow)

Translated into English:
http://translate.goo...pic.php?t=12297

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.