Please help me

6 replies to this topic
  • motogandy3

Posted August 01, 2006 - 06:22 PM

I have a 2003 yz450f and my front brake rotor has rubbed through the front brake line. I'm 16 years old and i have decent mechanic skills but i do not no anything about hydraulics. How do i bleed the breaks out and insert new hydraulic break fluid into the new cable, and is their any way i can reroute the brake cable to where it does not rub?

• codyblanchard

Posted August 01, 2006 - 06:40 PM

Just keep the resevior full of brake fluid and crack open the bleeder screw on the caliper. Keep opening the bleeder screw allowing fluid to escape until there is no air in it. Gravity should be able to fill the hose and pretty much self bleed for you. If the brake feels mushy after this you can slowly squeeze the lever a few times, then hold pressure on it and open the bleeder screw for a short time. Make sure to close the the bleeder screw before the lever reaches the end of it travel. I just changed the fliud in my '00 426 and only had to gravity bleed it. Make sure to keep the brake fluid off the rotor, pads and wheel, and any painted surfaces.

Cody

• Fastest1

Posted August 01, 2006 - 07:03 PM

Where did it rub and why? It should have a bracket that holds it away from the rotor. You can change the angle slightly by repositioning it under the banjo bolt. If you break open the brake system it will generally be more tedious than the method described above, but very easy to do. Do you have a manual? Brake bleeding is the same on any closed system so even an auto maunal will suffice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motogandy3

Posted August 01, 2006 - 07:43 PM

i dont see a bracket, the guy before me must have taken it off because he had galfer steel braided brake lines installed. it rubs at the very top of the rotor.

• grayracer513

Posted August 01, 2006 - 10:53 PM

I had that problem with the Galfer line on my '03. I picked out a spot on the fork guard where I wanted the line to tie to, then drilled a 3/16" hole near the edge of the guard. I ran a zip-tie through the hole and lashed the hose down with it. Now it behaves. :thumbsup:

• quailboy

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:32 PM

definetly go with the zip tie as gray racer said

• bg10459

Posted August 03, 2006 - 05:05 AM

The best method I have found for bleeding brakes is to push the fluid back toward the master cylinder with a syringe like THIS ONE. Attach a small piece of plastic tubing to the end of the syringe, fill it with brake fluid and connect it to the bleeder screw. Open the bleeder and push the fluid back to the reservoir till all the air comes out. You might be able to find something like this at a surgical supply store. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.