Just bought a 2000 XR-600R, need suggestions

17 replies to this topic
  • drjon

Posted August 01, 2006 - 03:47 PM

I just got a 2000 XR-600R off my boss at work for a pretty good deal. He was told by the previous owner that it has a 11:1 piston in it. Even without pulling the decompression lever it doesn't seem like it's that hard to kick. Is this normal?? It seems like it runs strong, but I am coming from a DR350 with a 435 kit, so stock this bike would have more power. Also what things should I look out for and check on this bike? What other performance stuff can I do to this bike to get more power out of it? What about suspension mods for it? Thanks.

• gaucho

Posted August 01, 2006 - 05:32 PM

When you kick it, it automatically decompresses. The lever is mostly to just clear it out mostly, not to start it. I never use mine for much.

I am not big on mods personally, but I would put a new pipe on it for sure, mostly to trim a little weight off of it, and it makes them look better.

I have a 95 here: http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=4751

• XR6's_rule

Posted August 02, 2006 - 02:40 AM

Change the engine regularly, as well as keep the airfilter clean and the bike should run for years. If the bike was running an 11:1 piston, you would notice it pinging or detonating under bigger engine loads. To counteract this you can would have to run at least 98 octane fuel. My XR600 actually runs a 3mm oversize (628cc) Wiseco 11:1 piston, and without running 98 octane fuel, pings but see how yours goes. They are great bikes you'll have heaps of fun on it!

• XR6's_rule

Posted August 02, 2006 - 02:41 AM

Change the engine regularly

I meant change the engine OIL regularly!

Cheers.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:51 AM

When you kick it, it automatically decompresses. The lever is mostly to just clear it out mostly, not to start it. I never use mine for much.

I am not big on mods personally, but I would put a new pipe on it for sure, mostly to trim a little weight off of it, and it makes them look better.

I have a 95 here: http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=4751

Hi Gaucho! Sniper X here, anyway, I agree with Gaucho, I have two XRs, Id do a pipe, filter (without removing the backfire screen itll screw up the bottom end) and if you really want some more power without sacrificing reliability,m do a Mikuni or Keihin carb kit from XRs only...the carb is the most bang for the buck if you have a pipie that any single mod. You can do a big bore, porting and cam without sacrificing too much reliability, guys do all that and still never have a problem as long as they keep the maintainence up. But I suggest only exterior mods to keep all the ston like reliability of a stock Honda XR, Ive seen them go over 50K miles with just exterior mods.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Gaucho, you sure a 2K XRR has a decompressor? My 96 only has a manual one and won;t go past TDC without all my 195lbs on the kick starter! And then it is very very hard to get it past TDC without pulling in the decomp lever! It looks like the 92 has both, whats the little arm and spring on the back top of the head for?

• cleonard

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:02 AM

Gaucho, you sure a 2K XRR has a decompressor? My 96 only has a manual one and won;t go past TDC without all my 195lbs on the kick starter! And then it is very very hard to get it past TDC without pulling in the decomp lever! It looks like the 92 has both, whats the little arm and spring on the back top of the head for?

Yes, it had an auto decomp when it came from Honda. It was either broken, removed, or has an aftermarket cam that doesn't have the decomp system in it.

• 2000xr600r

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:27 AM

I have not bought one yet but I understand that the stock choke plate needs to be replaced. It has a flapper that can come loose and enter your engine.
Anyone else want to confirm this for both of us and best place to buy one?

• azmanxman

Posted August 02, 2006 - 11:25 AM

Yeh, you should replace the choke plate. Xr's only sell a nice one although mine did need just a little filing for it to operate smoothly. It was catching on the sides if I remember right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted August 02, 2006 - 11:49 AM

Yeh, you should replace the choke plate. Xr's only sell a nice one although mine did need just a little filing for it to operate smoothly. It was catching on the sides if I remember right.

I just yanked mine out completely. I did it just in time as it was hanging by a thread. I was going to get the aftermarket plate, but so far I have been able to start it OK without it. If it's real cold I have to tip the bike over so it "floods" a little. With that method I have been able to start it at 35 degrees. If it's colder than that I don't ride anyways. With the missing obstruction in the intake, perhaps there is a small improvement of the top end.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 02, 2006 - 12:04 PM

I just yanked mine out completely. I did it just in time as it was hanging by a thread. I was going to get the aftermarket plate, but so far I have been able to start it OK without it. If it's real cold I have to tip the bike over so it "floods" a little. With that method I have been able to start it at 35 degrees. If it's colder than that I don't ride anyways. With the missing obstruction in the intake, perhaps there is a small improvement of the top end.

Yeah, Im ordering the XRS only Mikuni kit anyway on the 15th when I get paid anyway, so Ill be all over that! Mine is great, still nice and tight, and after putting the mikuni on the supermoto Ill have the stock carb to do a retrofit on the 92 and ditch the dual carb set-up on that beast.

• slepe67

Posted August 02, 2006 - 02:58 PM

I also own a 2K XRR. Tell ya what, I changed my fork oil soon after I bought it about 6 months ago....YUCK! That helped that nose heavy thing a ton...just a thought

I also have the carb mod, White bros exhaust, Twin Air air filter, Renthal Bars (see Campbells XR650R set up) and the Endurance dig speedo/tach/trip meter...I love that thing....Acerbis tail/brake light...need bigger stator..thinking about a baja tank and Baja Designs Classic light setup for street riding...it is already legal..GREAT BIKE nonetheless...oh, and a steel oil filter

just my $0.02

• drjon

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:48 PM

I was pokin around on the bike today and it already has a brake light wired up, so I think I'll be able to get in registered in Arizona with just a headlight and brakelight. I'm going to check on it tommorow at the DMV. Couldn't make it in time today. It's already got a 11:1 piston in it and some kind of aftermarket pipe. It has no brand name on it. I was thinking of just getting the FMF powerbomb and redoing the suspension for my weight. I weigh 240, so stock springs suck for me. You guys really think a new carb is worth it? Which is preferred for reliability and good low speed operation and flat out in the desert: Edelbrock, Mikuni, or Keihn? Thanks

• slepe67

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:26 PM

tough call on the carbs...I dont know enough about that topic to even guess. sorry...

• rmhrc630

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:24 PM

I was pokin around on the bike today and it already has a brake light wired up, so I think I'll be able to get in registered in Arizona with just a headlight and brakelight. I'm going to check on it tommorow at the DMV. Couldn't make it in time today. It's already got a 11:1 piston in it and some kind of aftermarket pipe. It has no brand name on it. I was thinking of just getting the FMF powerbomb and redoing the suspension for my weight. I weigh 240, so stock springs suck for me. You guys really think a new carb is worth it? Which is preferred for reliability and good low speed operation and flat out in the desert: Edelbrock, Mikuni, or Keihn? Thanks

mate I gotta a dubble 00!! 600 and bought a FCR MX from a 450R 04 model.

when I get the carb I'll let ya know - I think keihin FCRMX wins hands down for carbs.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:15 AM

mate I gotta a dubble 00!! 600 and bought a FCR MX from a 450R 04 model.

when I get the carb I'll let ya know - I think keihin FCRMX wins hands down for carbs.

Carbs in order of goodness for the XR600R

Keihin FCR41 best but Over $500.00 for the bolt on kit
Mikuni, almost as good as the Keihin, but $250.00 for the bolt on kit,
Edlebrock, almost as good as the Mikuni but about $100.00 or more expensive.
You can get mikuni jets anywhere too, I think Im going with the Mikuni as itll be better than the stock carb by a long shot, and the cheapest but not the worst. Ive also read some bad stuff on here about the edlebrock, may have been guys who couldn't get any carb right though~!

• creeky

Posted August 03, 2006 - 08:54 AM

You guys really think a new carb is worth it? Which is preferred for reliability and good low speed operation and flat out in the desert: Edelbrock, Mikuni, or Keihn? Thanks

I have been running Edelbrocks on XRs for about ten years, I'm sold on 'em.

• slepe67

Posted August 03, 2006 - 02:51 PM

Dumb question/hijack sorry---where do ya get the Edelbrock? Did you do anything to tune it? I had a Edel on a HOG, and hated it...different beast, but...I kinda get mad at my "stock" carb, as the dang choke handle moves to choke on its own while riding. Really funny when youre up to your axles in a FL Swamp, and it chokes itself out...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.