YZ400 wheelie problem?

9 replies to this topic
  • r6_300z

Posted August 01, 2006 - 12:18 PM

i just got my yz 400 about a week ago and it ran great, i got pretty good at 4th gear wheelies and i can do them for about 1 mile or 1 1/2 at the very max and then today i did a small low rpm'd wheelie and shortly after my bike sputtered and then shut off. there was plenty of oil in it and i dont think im doing them long enough for the motor to start to have problems. has any one else had a problem like this with their 400????

• kpflyingv

Posted August 01, 2006 - 12:23 PM

I'd check fuel before anything else. A float stuck, fuel filter, fuel tank volume, etc.....Doesn't sound too serious.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 01, 2006 - 12:28 PM

Wheelies can play hell on fuel delivery. It's very possible that you have a stuck float. Pull the bowl off and check 'er out.

• r6_300z

Posted August 01, 2006 - 12:33 PM

well it was hard to kick over after wards but now it can start up but i dont wanna hurt the motor cause to me it sounded like there was an oil problem or somthin

• 02YZ426

Posted August 01, 2006 - 12:46 PM

Check you float height and make sure its in spec. Also you can loosen the top bolt on the oil line just for a sec. to make sure the oil pump is working.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • One Louder

Posted August 02, 2006 - 01:20 AM

It's hard for me to imagine that a wheelie could do any seriouse damage to this motor :thumbsup: sounds like a fuel problem to me.
By the way check this out...
http://www.stuntking...heele_512mb.wmv

I think your bike is fine, maybe the carb need a good cleaning.

• r6_300z

Posted August 02, 2006 - 05:47 PM

well i drained my oil and it looks like chocolate milk so im replacing the head gasket but thanks for the advice

• kawirider

Posted August 02, 2006 - 09:02 PM

Brown oil means a blown head gasket? I thought that it only means that some dust has been sucked up your breather tube.

• peeweesp

Posted August 02, 2006 - 10:22 PM

Brown oil means a blown head gasket? I thought that it only means that some dust has been sucked up your breather tube.

he drives it onroad not much dust

• ovrrdrive

Posted August 03, 2006 - 01:03 AM

Chocolate milk means water in the oil. That is most likely a blown head gasket or a cracked case.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.