Spark plugs

12 replies to this topic
  • 2000xr600r

Posted August 01, 2006 - 12:12 PM

Any experience with "performance" spark plugs?
Iridium?
Split fire?
Etc?

• Jon-D

Posted August 01, 2006 - 03:32 PM

slightly off topic, but I have a Nology spark plug wire and it seems to help with the combustion. I pasted the link below.

http://www.nologyhotwires.com/

• cleonard

Posted August 01, 2006 - 03:54 PM

I've never tried a "performance" plug in my bike before, so I can't offer any evaluation. I have tried a few in different vehicles and never noticed a difference.

The XR600 uses a slightly unusual plug a DPR8EA-9. The difference from a "normal" D8EA is that the electrode sticks out a little farther. From what I understand those few extra mm of projection into the combustion chamber is essential for proper ignition. A standard D8EA works, but power is reduced. I would imagine that most "performance" plugs will have D8EA dimensions, not the DPR8EA-9 dimensions, and therefore will be at a disadvantage.

• Jon-D

Posted August 02, 2006 - 05:10 PM

gee, you would think that the way the plug is already buried into the head that there would be plenty of penetration for a normal plug.

• Hooter4444

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Well I know some folks will swear to the benefits of Splitfire, but the actual fact is that electricity will only travel from one single point to another single point. So having you electrode split will only give you more contact points one one side of your electrical connection, and maybe a slightly larger surface area. Neither of which will actually aid in the performance of the spark plug due to there being only one electrode in the plug. There may be some other benefit to the materials that are used, but I really doubt it. I do remember when Splitfires were first introduced and there was a big debate over the whole thing, but if it worked that good shouldn't there still be a big hype, or even other brands doing the same thing?

Just my 2 cents,
Rick

• frankstr

Posted August 03, 2006 - 05:39 AM

I use a NGK iridium, it cost more, but its just 1 plug :thumbsup:
I really dont notice a performance diff. but i do believe it will have a better spark flame for a better combustion....TMO

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2000xr600r

Posted August 03, 2006 - 06:06 AM

Failed to add...looking for better performance specifically in starting and longevity. I have taken my carb off and going thru it so that may be some of my problems but that could be a whole other thread.

• ghoti

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:12 AM

All that's really required is enough spark to ignite the mixture. It doesn't matter how much spark happens beyond that point, it won't make the mixture burn any faster. You don't tune your mixture with how hot a plug you have, you do it with how much fuel there is.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:49 AM

All that's really required is enough spark to ignite the mixture. It doesn't matter how much spark happens beyond that point, it won't make the mixture burn any faster. You don't tune your mixture with how hot a plug you have, you do it with how much fuel there is.

Correct, but on a 2 stroke it is different, good aftermarket gold palidium or iridiums are king of 2 stroke world, because they are less (a little) prone to fouling, and you do as a result get better power. But on the 4 stroke, especially a single I don;t think you would notice a difference between the stock DPR8EA-9 or a 50 doallar whiz bang 4 electrode super plug.

• 2000xr600r

Posted August 03, 2006 - 08:00 AM

I think I will experiment for my self and let you know. The stock is $2 at the auto parts store and and NGK Iridium is 6 or 7.

Since it is a 100 degrees here it will be a few week before I ride again but will follow up later.

Will continue to watch for anyone else on here who has tried different plugs.

Thanks for the comments!

• TREADMARKS

Posted August 03, 2006 - 08:11 AM

slightly off topic, but I have a Nology spark plug wire and it seems to help with the combustion. I pasted the link below.

http://www.nologyhotwires.com/

I did this mod last year as well.

I went back to the stock coil and wire last week after I noticed core of the plug wire burned up inside the crimp for the plug end.

My veypor gets a better tach signal from the stock parts as well.

• Supplicate

Posted August 03, 2006 - 04:47 PM

I sure noticed a difference with my 94 F-150. But I didn't do the splitfires, I went with the iridium plugs with 4 electrodes. Same goes for with my 84 RX-7.

But then again it could have been the new wires, or the new distributer, or any other number of things I did at the same time on both vehicles.

• Jon-D

Posted August 03, 2006 - 06:22 PM

I did this mod last year as well.

I went back to the stock coil and wire last week after I noticed core of the plug wire burned up inside the crimp for the plug end.

My veypor gets a better tach signal from the stock parts as well.

Did you notice a change in performance?

When I installed the wire on my KX250 I did experience an improvement, and on my KTM RFS, I also noticed a slight improvement. On the KTM I did however use their coil in combination with the wire so that may skew the results slightly. One of the wires I have is about 8 years old so they seem to be reliable.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.