Fuel Screw Adjustment for Altitude

2 replies to this topic
  • Btwick

Posted August 01, 2006 - 11:02 AM

Have an 02 426 and it runs awesome at sea level.. Starts well, no bog, and too fast for me. So I have not done anything to the motor other than pipe and NoToil filter.

I am now often taking it up to around 6000 ft, and also ride at sea level - switching back and forth. It is ridable at altitude, just a rich stumble off of closed throttle.. Once it revs up, runs OK. Slower, yes, but since we are doing trails in the mountains, not a real problem.

I would rather not have to rejet every week for the trips up to the mountains.. Is there anybody that has had success just making adjustments to the fuel screw to get rid of some of the rich condition off idle?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted August 01, 2006 - 11:10 AM

Plan on the bike being rich at altitude. You can get away with a simple main jet change and leaning the fuel screw. Swapping the main jet is easy enough normally not requiring any disassembly of the bike, same goes for the fuel screw adjustment. Plan on going down one size on the main and 1/2-3/4 turn leaner on the fuel screw, approximately of course.

• Wheel

Posted August 02, 2006 - 10:16 PM

Change the main jet using a correction factor of .94 and lean the fuel screw 1/2 turn. 5 minute change, including digging out tools and jet box.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.