06 450F after market Pipe choice

16 replies to this topic
  • Stoutman450f

Posted August 01, 2006 - 10:29 AM

Does anyone have a pipe favorite. I'm looking for mid - top punch. I had the 03 and it ripped. The 06 is smooooth and the suspension is Awesome!! I would just like it to come on a bit more in the mid - top.

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 01, 2006 - 11:08 AM

We put a Dr. D full stainless system on ours, and it snapped up the power noticeably from the lower mid up through to the high end. Not night and day, of course, but noticeably more authorative.

We ran the '06 side by side from a second gear roll with my '03, a bike which has never taken any crap from anything else. It was dead even until the '06 began to pull away in the end of 4th. They still feel totally different, and if you asked anyone who rode them both, they would guess that my '03 would stomp the '06, but that ain't reality. The impression that the '06 is soft or weak in any way is a complete illusion.

• kpflyingv

Posted August 01, 2006 - 12:31 PM

I agree with grayracer. This bike is so smooth and power is so linear that it gives the impression of not being to powerful......until it's time for the brakes at which point you immediatley begin to understand that going faster smoothly is somewhat deceptive. One good braking event of this type stays in your memory. I put an FMF system on mine and noticed a little difference, but I'll be honest, I prefer low end grunt and smoothness to high end rip and peakiness.

Good luck. This engine is the best I have ever ridden.

• Stoutman450f

Posted August 01, 2006 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the input you guys! I bought my 03 in 1/03 and rode it like a crazy man with hair on fire. The 06 IS fantastic!

So - the gray racer ran em side by side and the 06 pulled away??? You are right then. The smoother power is an illusion. I think I'll try that Dr. D pipe and see how I like it!

• Ga426owner

Posted August 01, 2006 - 06:53 PM

I prefer the WB Alum Pro2 to the DRD..........it has a much wider hit in all rpm ranges

• Alex_YZ450F

Posted August 02, 2006 - 04:55 AM

I put the Pro Circuit Ti-4 Gp Low boy on my bike and it vastly improves the mid to top end pull, though I would like more down low. The pipe definitely gives the bike more grunt and the removable spark arrestor is nice to have as well.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:41 AM

Dave @ www.mrd-racing.com will custom build you an exhaust that will have the power characteristics that you want, plus he warranties it for as long as you own it. You crash and smash it and he'll fix it for free and you get all this for less than $400.00! :thumbsup:

I'm going to have him make me a custom setup that will move the muffler up 3-4 inches further than stock and will fit lowered radiators.

• brown77

Posted August 02, 2006 - 09:54 AM

I read that the 06 is geared 14/49 thats really tall ,thats why it feels kinda slow and why in 4th gear it pulled away from the 03

the honda is geared 13/48 but the internal gearing might be a little different

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted August 02, 2006 - 09:57 AM

I read that the 06 is geared 14/49 thats really tall ,thats why it feels kinda slow and why in 4th gear it pulled away from the 03

13/49 not 14/49

• dooweb2

Posted August 02, 2006 - 02:58 PM

I'm no woods rider and a novice. I rode with my buddy an am rider on his 04 yz450 and a 06 ktm 525 we were going wide open on a fire road in 4th they took off first and let me tell you this bike pulled right up along side them both easily with everybody pinned.. do not let smoothness fool youthis thing pulls like hell.. I was really surprised that i could keep them in sight and it was always on the straights that i would reel them in and I have a fmf q2 pipe on mine which should theoretically slow it down a bit but i didnt notice it .. I also run a 50 tooth sprocket to help me pull out of corners cus I dont carry my speed as well as others

• odlaw19

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:21 PM

I got Pro Circuit T-4.

sounds good.

• kyle450rider

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:33 PM

I will be giving MRD a call as soon as i get my bike.$400 bucks for the whole system is really cheap and if he fixes problems with it as you all say i dont think you could go wrong with system.

• at_ecd

Posted August 03, 2006 - 01:29 AM

How about a Yoshimura RS-2 Pro Series Ti? Slip-on or full system?

• mitocross

Posted August 03, 2006 - 03:01 AM

Have 2006 FMF 4.1 Carbon Slip-On (coupled with our stock Euro PowerBomb header) and I have to say I am 100% happy with it:

PRICE-justified by the looks, performance,weight,dimensions (btw. thanks BTOsports.com) :applause:
WEIGHT-half the stock muffler,it is LIGHT, I just put the old into the spares corner in the garage and will leave it there until I really Have To use it. I felt the weight and balance difference on the track right away. Great imroovement. :thumbsup:
DIMENSIONS-it is SHORT, 15 cm less than the stocker, what a difference! Great. :ride:
QUALITY and LOOKS-titanium parts are 100%, Carbon can is quite thick - more durable I guess, the finish is 90% - European companies are a bit better with using Carbon. :applause:
PERFORMANCE - bottom-mid is significantly better, I did not notice much difference on top, maybe revs a bit more :applause:
FIT - 100% :applause:
SOUND - noticeably louder, but deeper/better
DURABILITY - we will see :applause:

OVERALL - if you can spend the amount and want the looks,performance and all, go for it! It is everything I wanted it to be. My decision was made upon good experience with FMFs SST 2-stroke pipes and FMF did not disappoint in this case at all again. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
:applause:

• brown77

Posted August 03, 2006 - 11:13 AM

13/49 not 14/49

THANKS

dam mag's can never get anything right .I was thinking man that some tall gearing

anyways I might be going blue soon :thumbsup:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 03, 2006 - 11:27 AM

THANKS

dam mag's can never get anything right .I was thinking man that some tall gearing

anyways I might be going blue soon :ride:

Go white with the 07! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2006 - 12:14 PM

The primary ratio was changed on the YZ450 for the '05 model and onward; it's higher (2.818 on the older ones, vs. 2.652 on the newer). Besides, my '03 has a 15/49.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.