Why don't they still....

10 replies to this topic
  • Punisher660

Posted August 01, 2006 - 10:27 AM

Anyone born befor 1980 remembers bikes with conventional forks and the funky acordian style fork leg protector.

Manufacturers figured that by inverting the fork, they got a more rigid suspension setup and thus had better performance on the track.

Well....what ever happened to the acordian style fork leg covers? They flipped the fork legs, and then put a skimpy plastic shield over them. The old skool covers kept all debris out and I never had fork seal issues.

Why don't they still use them? They could even use them in conjunction with the plastic guards for even more protection. :thumbsup:

• 234gearwheelie

Posted August 01, 2006 - 11:22 AM

Good point my drz400e never leaked a seal in 2 years, yam 426 of mine leaks a seal quite often and dont mention fork seals to ktm owners, i think the manufactures new this would happen without the gaitors [correct term?]

• jwcrf05

Posted August 01, 2006 - 11:53 AM

becuase they look cooler with out those covers at least to some people. you can buy seal savers but the guys that did my suspension work said to leave them off they just get dirt under them and hold it in.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 01, 2006 - 03:22 PM

Well....what ever happened to the acordian style fork leg covers? They flipped the fork legs, and then put a skimpy plastic shield over them. The old skool covers kept all debris out and I never had fork seal issues.

I have them on my TT-R and my fork seals still developed a leak after 2 years. Upon taking the cover off, I found that dirt got trapped in there.

• RCannon

Posted August 01, 2006 - 03:53 PM

Fork boots were great until water or mud got in them. Overall I like the way it is not better.

Besides, most of us could not wait to cut the fork boots off asap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moach1

Posted August 01, 2006 - 06:38 PM

some bikes still have them. xr650 for one

• Birdy426

Posted August 01, 2006 - 09:12 PM

Doug Henry ran the accordian style fork boots on his YZ400M in the first year of thumper competition. Look thru some back issues of Dirt Bike, MXA or the like and you'll see 'em. Looked kinda dorky with the plastic guards on too.

• Cmott426

Posted August 02, 2006 - 06:29 AM

I don’t think they are needed as much as conventional forks because of "Gravity". The dirt and water doesn’t sit on the seal like conventional forks. When mine do leak I just use the negative film trick.

• Punisher660

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:00 AM

While I agree that they might look dorky, I think they functioned quite well. The ones I remember were on my 84 KX250 - they were completely sealed and never let anything in. They worked better than the neoprene boots because they collapsed on itself when compressed as opposed to bunching up like the new types. I couldn't find any pictures of Doug H. with the guards, but I can immagine how bad it looked w/ both types of guards.

Would the neoprene ones work better if they covered the entire fork leg instead of just a portion of it? :thumbsup:

• Beejay

Posted August 02, 2006 - 03:45 PM

Moisture was the problem, hard to keep it out specifically when they aged.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:38 PM

I would love to see a photo of fork boots on inverted forks. They will not work because of clearance issues.

They now use seal wipers that use wet suite neoprene some of which run the entire length of the fork.

I would love to have fork boots back. They work great on my DRZ and yes I have replaced my WR seals too.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.