unfortunate luck....bent forks xr650L, sigh

22 replies to this topic
  • ghoti

Posted August 03, 2006 - 04:47 AM

I like to make sure to compress the forks a couple of times before I tighten the axle picnh clamp. If I squeeze the forks tight to the wheel spacer I get some binding too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flubber

Posted August 03, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Tirebiter, thanks for the help. I did loosen the big nut on the top tree but could not figure out how to tighten it without turning the bars all the way to the right. How are you holding the top tree when you tighten this nut? Theres gotta be a trick to doing this.

Ghoti, I'm experiencing the same thing you are. After I tighten the axle the right fork doesnt want to sit tight against the speedo. Maybe this is normal.

All I can say right now is I'm sorta happy all of this happened. I've learned alot about my bike in the last couple of days. If none of this would have happened I'd be clueless about working on the front end of my bike.

• texsurfer

Posted August 03, 2006 - 05:43 PM

one other tip, don't look for any kind of special brake or clutch levers that are indestructible. simply leave the clamps loose enough on your handlebars so that when you fall they pivot. there is the odd chance you can still break one and in that case you can get the kind that can flip forward? can't remember names or brands but they make 'em

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.