chain

12 replies to this topic
  • dirtking

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:16 PM

the chain on my 06 YZ450F is about all streched out. what is the best chain to run on this bike. O-ring or Non O-ring. any help is appreciated!

• FriscoKLR

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:22 PM

I put a gold Regina O-ring on mine before my first ride. About 40 rides now, great chain so far.

• barch88

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:28 PM

DID ERT2 Gold, I have over 40 Hours on this chain and havent had to adjust it AT ALL! It's a great chain, hands down. No rubbing, streching, etc...

Regina ORN6 is another great chain that many people will suggest also.

• stock510

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:33 PM

DID ERT2 Gold, I have over 30 Hours on this chain and havent had to adjust it AT ALL! It's a great chain, hands down.

Regina ORN6 is another great chain that many people will suggest also.

I have a DID ERT2 on mine but the first ride out turned out to be the muddiest ride i had with my new bike and the chain did not like it one bit :thumbsup:

I think next time ill go an O-ring due to the wet weather riding i seem to be doing A LOT of.

• barch88

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:42 PM

I have a DID ERT2 on mine but the first ride out turned out to be the muddiest ride i had with my new bike and the chain did not like it one bit :thumbsup:

I rode in some serious mud last week and I had no issues at all, and this was some SERIOUS MUD too. Did you keep the chain lubed up with some good lube? What do you mean "the chain did not like it one bit?"

• stock510

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:53 PM

I rode in some serious mud last week and I had no issues at all, and this was some SERIOUS MUD too. Did you keep the chain lubed up with some good lube? What do you mean "the chain did not like it one bit?"

It was lubed up with Motul chain lube.

I meant that after the ride the chain was rather loose, given that their was water crossings, mud on everything, full days ride and as soon as the chains wet i guess the lube goes with it?

I am not saying the chains bad and i only pay $50 Aust. for them through a mate its just that since then the chain tends to stretch a little after each ride. I have washed the chain in kerosene to try and clean it but for some reason it still stretches.

Considering i can get a good price on them i should buy an O ring for the wet rides and a ERT for the track days???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 01, 2006 - 08:08 AM

Take $65 to your favorite parts house, get a Regina ORN-6 O-ring chain, put it on, and forget about it. I've owned 4 of them now, and have yet to wear one out (although I hear from the guy who bought my CR500 that that chain finally did die) The one on my '03 is two years old or so, and is in great shape. It's stretched well under 1%, and I've adjusted it about 3 times total, more for the wear on the rear sprocket than for worn chain.

I lube with Maxima's Synthetic Chain Guard because it drys to a very low tack, collects very little dirt, and washes off with Simple Green when I clean the bike, taking the dirt with it. (Avoid pressure washing a sealed chain up close or from anywhere other than straight from the sides...water will get under the seals)

There is no reason not to run an O-ring chain full time, even for racing. Mine runs very freely compared to non-sealed chains, and it should be remembered that the only O-rings that are being rotated at any given point are the ones where the chain is running onto or off of the sprockets. Of those, only the four at the front sprocket are moving as much as 15 degrees. You can't tell me that you really believe there's a significant power loss in that.

• Merc1212

Posted August 01, 2006 - 08:42 AM

There is no reason not to run an O-ring chain full time, even for racing. Mine runs very freely compared to non-sealed chains, and it should be remembered that the only O-rings that are being rotated at any given point are the ones where the chain is running onto or off of the sprockets. Of those, only the four at the front sprocket are moving as much as 15 degrees. You can't tell me that you really believe there's a significant power loss in that.

I always thought the 'power loss' was due to o-ring chains being heavier then non-o-rings in general ... then again I could have dreamed that up.

I'll be trying the Regina thought - I've been a DID fan in the past, but I'd like to give the Regina a shot.

• grayracer513

Posted August 01, 2006 - 01:25 PM

Someone told you that, and you just didn't think about it very long. The ORN-6 weighs 3.6 pounds per 100 links. Regina's RX3 non-sealed racing chain weighs 3.3 per100. That's about 5.5 ounces on a 450. And, it's weight in the final drive section, where the torque is multiplied by the transmission and is at its greatest. It won't affect power much at all, and would barely affect the acceleration of an unloaded rear wheel.

People will worry about the chain weight, but never give a thought to how heavy their rear tire is, and that's unsprung weight as well as inertia resistance.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 01, 2006 - 01:34 PM

Someone told you that, and you just didn't think about it very long. The ORN-6 weighs 3.6 pounds per 100 links. Regina's RX3 non-sealed racing chain weighs 3.3 per100. That's about 5.5 ounces on a 450. And, it's weight in the final drive section, where the torque is multiplied by the transmission and is at its greatest. It won't affect power much at all, and would barely affect the acceleration of an unloaded rear wheel.

People will worry about the chain weight, but never give a thought to how heavy their rear tire is, and that's unsprung weight as well as inertia resistance.

Not me! I can't stand the feel of HD tubes on my bikes. I feel it instantly! I once put a 120/90-19 on my Honda and took it off after the first ride, talk about heavy. :thumbsup:

• Nitroused383

Posted August 01, 2006 - 03:17 PM

I've had good luck with a DID X-ring VM chain. Also I like the maxima chain lube not wax.

• grayracer513

Posted August 01, 2006 - 03:33 PM

Not me! I can't stand the feel of HD tubes on my bikes. I feel it instantly! I once put a 120/90-19 on my Honda and took it off after the first ride, talk about heavy. :thumbsup:

And swinging around on the edge of your rim, the weight is a good deal more obvious and effective than looping around your swing arm. Besides the difference between a 110 and a 120 is somewhat greater than 5.5 ounces, I'll bet. My point was really more directed at the fact that many of the same people who will develop all that angst over a chain, when picking between two like tires, will never consider the weight as a factor

As discriminating as you are, do you think you could tell which bike had a 9% heavier chain in a blind test? My money says no. :ride:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 01, 2006 - 03:36 PM

And swinging around on the edge of your rim, the weight is a good deal more obvious and effective than looping around your swing arm. Besides the difference between a 110 and a 120 is somewhat greater than 5.5 ounces, I'll bet. My point was really more directed at the fact that many of the same people who will develop all that angst over a chain, when picking between two like tires, will never consider the weight as a factor

As discriminating as you are, do you think you could tell which bike had a 9% heavier chain in a blind test? My money says no. :thumbsup:

I went from a Renthal R1 Gold to a RK O-ring on my RM250 and could tell a difference, but that bike didn't have the torque that a 450 has. The difference was negligible though. The benefits far outweigh (pun) the added heft.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.