290lbs on xr650r

7 replies to this topic
  • GetBent

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:07 PM

Howdy! Well, I am a new rider on a great xr650r. To the point, I am a 290lbs(solid muscle, of course!) rider and love to trial ride and dual sport my bike. I know I need the heavier springs front and rear. But what about shock oil. I would like a versital setup that would allow me to single track and hit the road. Am I asking for too much from the set up? Can I just change the dampening and rebound to accomodate the triail riding? I rode Red River this weekend with stock set up and it didn't feel that bad, then again, I am not sure how good it could be at this point. Keep in mind, I am not a jumper(maybe little ones). So, any advice from the bigger riders would be nice.

• XRandWRRider

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:39 PM

I am 235 lbs and I got away with just adjustments on the stock set-up for the first two years. Eventually, I decided to get the bike re-sprung and set-up properly for me. I am not sure exactly what was done, but I took it to a guy that speciallized in suspensions. It was like night and day. At 290 it will probably make even more difference for you.

• scott cressman

Posted August 01, 2006 - 02:32 AM

<<I rode Red River this weekend with stock set up and it didn't feel that bad, then again, I am not sure how good it could be at this point. Keep in mind, I am not a jumper(maybe little ones). So, any advice from the bigger riders would be nice.>>

GetBent,

I am 235 pounds and I went the heavier spring route on my Tagged 650r. It works great when I am riding aggressively, but can be rough if you just want to putt around. The stock suspension is ok in the tight parts of Red River but if you want to get on it, you will really like the stiffer springs.

What part of Texas are you from? I take my R to Red River, but it is a 2.5 hour drive.

Scott

• Firelyle

Posted August 01, 2006 - 06:21 AM

I'm 260 lbs. and rode my 600r very aggressively with the stock setup and it worked ok. Then I took it to a suspension expert and had it set up for my size and the difference in handling ect. was amazing. The best money I ever spent on the bike. I do no street riding with this bike but if you want to ride better on trails...get it set up right!

Enjoy!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1Hondalover

Posted August 01, 2006 - 11:51 AM

Howdy! Well, I am a new rider on a great xr650r. To the point, I am a 290lbs(solid muscle, of course!) rider and love to trial ride and dual sport my bike. I know I need the heavier springs front and rear. But what about shock oil. I would like a versital setup that would allow me to single track and hit the road. Am I asking for too much from the set up? Can I just change the dampening and rebound to accomodate the triail riding? I rode Red River this weekend with stock set up and it didn't feel that bad, then again, I am not sure how good it could be at this point. Keep in mind, I am not a jumper(maybe little ones). So, any advice from the bigger riders would be nice.

I have two words for 'ya: Precision Concepts!

I don't know if I qualify as a "bigger" rider but it doesn't make any difference. Others have said it.....it will be the best money you ever spent.

• Bigmutha

Posted August 01, 2006 - 02:21 PM

I am 260 and I dumped my stock springs front and rear after one ride. I ride in open areas alot. What a huge difference.

• Fordskin

Posted August 02, 2006 - 04:09 AM

I'm 240. For stock suspension i found the front rebound adjuster to be the biggest variable on the bike. Go riding where there are a lot of rutts and try slowly backing off the rebound {screws on top of shocks] You should notice even 2 or 3 full turns either way will make a big difference. After that try the damping screws. they're underneath the shock.

• GetBent

Posted August 02, 2006 - 03:43 PM

Thanks, I am going to BrushyCreek Saturday. I am going to try and adjust the rebound and compression some. Sounds like getting it resprung is the ticket. Thanks foryour help guys. I live in Plano, Tx.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.