blown motor - bad air filter

3 replies to this topic
  • Ripmeister

Posted July 31, 2006 - 07:22 PM

I'm sure the topic of changing the air filter has been beaten to death - is there a topic that hasn't been? But I can't find a thread this specific - so my question is . . .

My buddy needs a complete motor rebuild for his XR400 ($1500) - his mechanic says it's because of a never-changed and poorly installed air filter. I guess they were scooping dust out of it by the handful...anyway, this guy says to change the air filter after every ride - have two and keep one cleaned and oiled and put it in after the ride and clean the other one etc. You get the picture.

I clean and change my filter but not nearly that often. So do I run the same risk with my 2002 WR426 if I just change it when it looks dirty?

• Stiletto_72

Posted July 31, 2006 - 07:43 PM

If the days ride was dusty I clean it. If there wasn't much dust I will clean it after the 2nd ride.

A filter may not look dirty, but really it is even at one ride.

You bike will be much happier if you get into the habit of cleaning the air filter often.

Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:01 PM

I have three or four filters prepped and ready in zip lock baggies. Change it in the evening before we light the camp fire, and I'm good to go. Cheap, easy, quick insurance

• Beejay

Posted August 02, 2006 - 04:16 PM

I have three or four filters prepped and ready in zip lock baggies. Change it in the evening before we light the camp fire, and I'm good to go. Cheap, easy, quick insurance

Hehehe yeah, they're like condoms, need to have a clean one ready whenever it is needed :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.