wr 450 bogging at full throttle

4 replies to this topic
  • moto619

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:43 AM

I have a 2003 wr 450 that I have taken to different mechanics here in San Diego and nobody can figure out what is wrong. The bike runs perfect for the first few miles then being at full throttle for more than a few seconds causes the bike to bog, once you let off the throttle it runs fine as long as you dont go back to full throttle. The more you go to full throttle the worse the bogging gets eventually it starts happening at 3/4 throttle then 1/2 throttle and so on. The bike then starts to backfires and will die, and then will not run more than 1 foot without stalling. Then it gets wierd. Let the bike sit for a few hours and its magically back to normal and then it starts all over again. Both myself and mechanics have cleaned the carb. I checked the fuel line and fuel cap vent they were both clear.

Anybody have any ideas?

• Long_Range

Posted July 31, 2006 - 10:12 AM

I had somewhat of a similar problem on my 1983 XC500 Husky. Turns out the fuel was foaming in the bowls from vibration and was sucking bubbles and bogging at wide open throttle.
My answer was to install a thimble like screen/filter to keep bubbles from going where they shouldn't. It worked for me.

Good luck.

Long Range

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 31, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Sounds like fuel isnt filling into the float bowl.

• Turismo

Posted July 31, 2006 - 04:50 PM

yeah, have you checked the float height?

• MountainMax

Posted July 31, 2006 - 04:54 PM

and Is there a filter in there anywhere??

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.