Rain proofing your body – what works for you?

7 replies to this topic
  • imported_Scott_H

Posted November 17, 2001 - 08:49 PM

Looks like the LA-Barstow to Vegas dual sport ride is going to get some rain this year (if you believe weather.com). The latest forecast shows we’ll riding in a downpour for several hours this Saturday. What do you guys do to stay dry (and warm) in these kind of conditions? I’ve sprayed scotch guard on my jacket and pants, applied rain-x to my goggle lens, I’ll probably put a wrap or two of duct tape around the top of my boots. Any other things I’m overlooking? Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted November 17, 2001 - 10:14 PM

I live in the mountains of rainy oregon and have gore tex MSR pull over jacket and pants. And so far no leaks even in the worst of down pours. Its pricey stuff but has definately increased my enjoyment in the wet stuff. Swamp ass can ruin any ride over time.
Another suggestion is to take rubber rain pants and cut the off around knee length, keeps you dry and breathes some what with the cut off.

I still have not found a good solution for keeping the gloves dry though.

• Rick_Graham

Posted November 17, 2001 - 11:03 PM

I still have not found a good solution for keeping the gloves dry though.

Neoprene diving gloves can really save the day when it's not just raining but cold as well.

• BlueThunder

Posted November 18, 2001 - 06:24 PM

Fox Polar Paws have done me no wrong...even use them for snowmobiling since you don't get too cold on the sled with heated grips. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted November 19, 2001 - 04:34 AM

-Milkman turned me onto Goretex socks, available though rockymountainatv.com. I wear regular socks underneath-keeps them clean, dry and cozy.
Actualy wear these all the time now!

-Silicone everything like you've done

- Tape your helmet vents

- Goretex jacket and goretex gloves would be real nice...

• MOmilkman

Posted November 19, 2001 - 05:20 AM

Dont forget in rainy conditions you're goggle lens will also fog up. I know you said you're using rain-x and that stuff works great but I have never had much luck with it when it comes to fogging.

Go get a double-payne lens for your goggles and then apply rain-x to that.

Actually now that I think about it I guess you are not going to be going slow enough to fog eh? :)

• Bill

Posted November 19, 2001 - 03:59 PM

Actually now that I think about it I guess you are not going to be going slow enough to fog eh? :) [/QB][/QUOTE]

No wonder my goggles are always foggy :D

• imported_Scott_H

Posted November 19, 2001 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be taping up the helmet vents and shopping for some socks and better gloves tomorrow after work. I'm sure fogging will be a problem due to the numerous 30-mph speed limits in the "tortoise protected areas" just out side Barstow.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.