99 WR400 running lean & hot

5 replies to this topic
  • SGRider

Posted July 30, 2006 - 05:57 PM

I have a '99 WR400 that has just started running very lean and hot... in fact the exhaust header turns orange it is so hot and it melted all my plastic over the muffler. It will idle, but it bogs down and stalls when you give it gas. I have had it in the shop a few times and they say that everything associated with the fuel delivery system and carburation is OK, but it still won't run. Now they want to tear into the engine to try to figure out what the problem is. Any ideas before I drop a few more bennys on this or should I just got my losses and upgrade to a new 450?

• creeky

Posted July 31, 2006 - 04:50 AM

Sure sounds it is running lean. This can only be from not enough fuel or too much air. Have you checked for air leakage between the carb and the head?

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 31, 2006 - 07:29 AM

Take the carb apart and clean it thoroughly. Trust me on this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • saqu

Posted November 20, 2006 - 06:43 AM

I have a '99 WR400 that has just started running very lean and hot... in fact the exhaust header turns orange it is so hot and it melted all my plastic over the muffler. It will idle, but it bogs down and stalls when you give it gas. I have had it in the shop a few times and they say that everything associated with the fuel delivery system and carburation is OK, but it still won't run. Now they want to tear into the engine to try to figure out what the problem is. Any ideas before I drop a few more bennys on this or should I just got my losses and upgrade to a new 450?

I have exactly the same problem with 2000 WR400F. What was the solution to this problem? Can anyone help?:cheers:

• onecolumbyte

Posted November 20, 2006 - 12:54 PM

I think they've been covered, air leak or clogged jet.

• drtbk4ever

Posted November 20, 2006 - 04:47 PM

I think they've been covered, air leak or clogged jet.

My vote goes for clogged jet.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.