hole above header gasket???

9 replies to this topic
  • koondawg

Posted July 30, 2006 - 03:12 PM

I noticed my bike leaking oil today on a hot ride. Finally noticed it is coming from a hole right above the intake gasket.
What is this hole?
Should something be in it?
Thanks,

• MountainMax

Posted July 30, 2006 - 04:01 PM

Do you have a picture for us??

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 30, 2006 - 05:17 PM

Sounds like you blew the decomp plug out of the head. Common problem - do a search and you'll find plenty of info. On the 03/04's Yamaha put a rubber plug in the head to block off the hole that was used for the manual decomp on earlier models. Do yourself a favor and replace it with one of these:

http://shop.thumpert...p/qmr-03dpb.htm

Also check the crankcase vent tube to make sure it's not blocked.

• Gadsen

Posted July 30, 2006 - 07:58 PM

Sounds like you blew the decomp plug out of the head. Common problem - do a search and you'll find plenty of info. On the 03/04's Yamaha put a rubber plug in the head to block off the hole that was used for the manual decomp on earlier models. Do yourself a favor and replace it with one of these:

http://shop.thumpert...p/qmr-03dpb.htm

Also check the crankcase vent tube to make sure it's not blocked.

I was thinking the same deal, but read his was on the intake side? I built a tab to hold my decomp plug in place after reading the horror stories in here on it.

• MountainMax

Posted July 31, 2006 - 05:51 AM

any pics??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • koondawg

Posted July 31, 2006 - 06:42 AM

sorry, no pics. no camera.
it is right above exhaust gasket..

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 31, 2006 - 07:09 AM

I was thinking the same deal, but read his was on the intake side?

Yeah at first I thought that too but noticed the thread title said exhaust side so figured it had to be the decomp hole. The TT plug does a nice job and the price isn't too out of line.

• Gadsen

Posted July 31, 2006 - 08:38 AM

Yeah at first I thought that too but noticed the thread title said exhaust side so figured it had to be the decomp hole. The TT plug does a nice job and the price isn't too out of line.

OK, I think it does appear to be exhaust and his second reply clarified it. PBDBlue is right, decomp plug. Be glad you found it now, other way was to notice it after the oil catches on fire on the exhaust or engine starves for oil. I think the TT Store sells a nice aluminum one to replace the rubber one too.

• koondawg

Posted July 31, 2006 - 07:44 PM

yea, sorry for the confusion. late nights these days.
Decomp plug on the way.
Thanks fella's,
have a round on me:)
Cheers!

• koondawg

Posted July 31, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Anything else I should Order from TT that may fit this live and learn catergory???
:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.