XR650R - Better Airflow & Filtering than a K&N

8 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted July 30, 2006 - 07:45 AM

For awhile, I used a K&N in my 650R and loved the airflow. I never had a problem with it's filtering ability untill somewhere around it's 10th cleaning. Then I found a very small amount of dust in the air box.

I started looking for a better filter setup, but I did not want to give up any power. Here is what I pieced together. This setup has MORE airflow than the K&N, and filters better.

I bought a High-Flow backfire screen from XR's only. it was pretty cheap at 15 bucks, but you have to bend it yourself for it to fit into the airbox. I marked the spots where the number plate pushes against the filter, and cut out 4 large holes out of the backfire screen.

My Backfire Screen:
http://www.geocities...kfireScreen.jpg

XR's Only:
http://www.xrsonly.c...emart&Itemid=77

Then I bought 3 TwinAir filters from my local motorcycle shop (about 15 bucks ea.) I've been using No-Toil oil, and Bel-Ray waterproof grease as a sealer. (I HATE No-Toil's new grease!!!!)

Here is the filter after 300 miles, and the airbox was perfectly clean!!
http://www.geocities...s/AirFilter.jpg

• needsprayer

Posted July 30, 2006 - 08:45 AM

I never let the air fliter get that dirty before changing it. Maybe I am just overprotective.

• motopsycho650

Posted July 30, 2006 - 09:20 AM

Twin Air claims you can go untill you cannot see the logo anymore. My guess is approx. twice my interval. I have see many people go much longer without any problems. I thought 300 miles was being over protective. :thumbsup:

• Mudshark

Posted July 30, 2006 - 02:50 PM

I never let the air fliter get that dirty before changing it. Maybe I am just overprotective.

So... do you stop and clean it in the middle of a ride :thumbsup:

Mines gotten at least that bad halfway through a 200mile ride. Texas is very
dry and dusty right now.
As long as no dirt shows up inside the air-box, you're okay.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted July 30, 2006 - 05:04 PM

So Mudshark, if yours is that dirty halfway through a ride then it is twice as dirty at the end of the ride. If I was riding in those conditions I would be carrying a spare filter.

• loufish

Posted July 30, 2006 - 08:53 PM

I found out the filter element needs a good clean greasing around the perimeter to seal good. I have to use a small pocket screwdriver and go all the way around the filter "tucking" it into the little groove in the airbox.
I use silicone grease, it's tacky enough and the silicone won't eat the element. I also hate the No-Toil sealing grease!

• Tom81

Posted July 31, 2006 - 05:32 AM

Hi...

instead of having to cut holes in a spark arrestor, you could buy the following from twin air, just as I did:

http://www.twinair.com/News16.htm

I works and fits great, and the filtering is also great.

Tom

• motopsycho650

Posted July 31, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Hi...

instead of having to cut holes in a spark arrestor, you could buy the following from twin air, just as I did:

http://www.twinair.com/News16.htm

I works and fits great, and the filtering is also great.

Tom

I saw that, and it's 40 bucks from Chaparral. But, I didn't see if you could order spare filters with the pocket, or how much they cost. The XR's Only backfire screen was right around 20 bucks with shipping included, and you can use any filter you want, even the stock. A standard twin air filter is only 15 bucks.

Or you can just buy a Uni for around 30 bucks, but for some reason, I just didn't like the Uni.

• drtrider145

Posted August 01, 2006 - 05:18 PM

We pre ran the Baja 500 and during our first 160 mile maintanence intervals, (we all have 7 gallon fuel tanks on our prerunners so we rode to race mile 161 headed to the hotels to do maintenance), we changed air filters because they were twice as dirty as the one show for topic , I think it's all about the conditions of the trail, oh and wehad to do tire and oil changes also for the next day for the other half of the race course,

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.