A skeptic no more!

21 replies to this topic
  • texas_hippie

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:03 PM

After reading all the threads about the AIS removal mod, and hearing everyone rave about the vast improvements, I just found it hard to believe there would be that much difference in performance. I even read where people claimed it turned their wr 450 into a "whole new bike". I just spent about two hours installing the GYTR kit, and didn't even have to pull the carb off the bike. Well, gentleman....I BELIEVE. Every rave was right on the money! The first time I shifted into third, the front air lofted, and I damn near looped it. Felt like I was riding a bike from my old two stroke days! It started easier from a cold start, it idled perfectly, and smoothly, and all the backfiring was gone. I want to thank Arin for his excellent tutorial on the installation, and also a big thanks to Black Bones for guiding me to them. THIS FORUM WORKS! Thanks guys....looks like I found a home here. Now, I'm gonna go rotate my battery caps for good measure, LOL!

• Bullwinkle

Posted July 28, 2006 - 07:38 PM

I've only been on here a couple of months myself - and you're right there's a ton of good info here and a lot of guys willing to help out. :ride: :cry: :ride: My thanks also to everybody.
And stop calling Bluebike Dude dude! :thumbsup:
:ride:

• texas_hippie

Posted July 29, 2006 - 11:45 AM

are you telling Bluebike isn't male?

• MountainMax

Posted July 29, 2006 - 11:49 AM

I too found it hard to beleive that little kit would make that much difference in the bike, and boy, was i too proven wrong. It really is like a different bike, wheelies in 3'rd and 4'th now for fun. could barely do one in third before, Wait till you put on a free flow muffler and do the yz cam mod if you want to feel even more power...

• clark4131

Posted July 29, 2006 - 10:30 PM

Just for clarification, the AIS removal is not a performance enhancing mod. However, the addition of the 48 pilot jet, adjustable needle, throttle stop and grey wire are performance-oriented, but removing the smog pump (AIS) alone simply gets rid of the excessive decel popping, thereby making it easier to diagnose and jet the bike properly :thumbsup: ...SC

• MountainMax

Posted July 30, 2006 - 06:10 AM

Yes we know that it is not the actual smog thing that does it, I bet the biggest part is the throttle stop, but all of it together in that kit works wonders for our bikes, that is what we mean.

• bigblu

Posted July 30, 2006 - 09:51 AM

I'm just in the process of doing the "free mods" to my 2006 wr450. I have also installed the pro moto billet exhaust. What did you end up doing to your carb (jets etc. to get your bike tuned right)? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

• Bullwinkle

Posted July 30, 2006 - 12:40 PM

are you telling Bluebike isn't male?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=400500
:thumbsup:

• texas_hippie

Posted August 03, 2006 - 04:20 AM

I'm just in the process of doing the "free mods" to my 2006 wr450. I have also installed the pro moto billet exhaust. What did you end up doing to your carb (jets etc. to get your bike tuned right)? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

Didn't do anything else! Didn't change the pipe, or do any special jetting, just didn't think it was necessary. The GYTR AIS removal kit was done exactly per the instructions, and I'm perfectly happy with the power output, and the way the bike is running. I'm old school.."if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
:thumbsup:

• texas_hippie

Posted August 03, 2006 - 04:31 AM

Thanks Bullwinkle...I must've missed that post....LOL!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johnnyjeep

Posted August 03, 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hey tex, you might look into rejetting. It is probably running too lean and from what I understand will produce too much heat and toast the motor.

John in Vegas

• spick

Posted August 04, 2006 - 04:10 AM

I pulled the AIS kit from mine last night. The bike now runs much smoother and the throttle response is crisper and quicker.

Just as I figured, the shop did cut my throttle stop, but it was WAY to short. They cut it to the threads. I happily put the YZ stop in to replace it. At least the thing does stop now when I crank the throttle.

On a tip from a local, I used the 3rd clip position on the needle and it seems to be right on the money. 4th would have been to rich I reckon.

I have yet to do the grey wire or airbox mods. I may look at those in a few weeks.

• bigblu

Posted August 08, 2006 - 06:14 AM

Just wanted to say thanks. I did the mods as per Yamaha and the bike is completely reformed. This is the bike I thought I bought.

• smr96

Posted August 08, 2006 - 06:39 PM

OK, I thought I had all the mods. done. What is this AIS thingy? Does it apply to my '04 wr450?

• clark4131

Posted August 08, 2006 - 07:37 PM

OK, I thought I had all the mods. done. What is this AIS thingy? Does it apply to my '04 wr450?

No, '05 and up...SC

• MountainMax

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:32 AM

And it stands for Air Injection System

• wes_scooter

Posted August 09, 2006 - 01:40 PM

i also did all the mods and wow. i never rode it with the throttle stop in it. but after the break-in i did all the mods + a aftermarket scilencer. it isent the same bike i bought. i love it now.

• bd0nalds0n

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:36 PM

I bought a new '06 today, and I'm having the dealer do all the mods before I even get the bike. In a way, I'm a bit bummed, because it seems like half the joy is experiencing it at 50%, and then getting a 50% bonus after the mod. Thanks for the tips.

• Turismo

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:48 PM

I bought a new '06 today, and I'm having the dealer do all the mods before I even get the bike. In a way, I'm a bit bummed, because it seems like half the joy is experiencing it at 50%, and then getting a 50% bonus after the mod. Thanks for the tips.

You will get more exitement with an aftermarket muffler!

• MountainMax

Posted August 10, 2006 - 06:59 AM

It is true, it's nice to go from disapointing to AWESOME...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.