Still won't start

13 replies to this topic
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted July 28, 2006 - 04:16 AM

Ok, i've search and searched and asked questions for the last month and still can't get it right. My '01 yz426 won't start cold and hasn't been really ridden since April :thumbsup:. I've checked the valves...ok, put a new choke in because it didn't seem to want to work properly cleaned the carb. I'm thinking my next try is a new starter jet any suggestions on what size? Also the hotstart seems to pop in to easily, if i just kick the bike with force it already pops in, should i possibly swap that out as well?

Thanks guys :ride:

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:16 AM

just wanted to add that i've tried fresh gas and new plugs and starting fluid

• quailboy

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:26 AM

push start? can you do that with those bikes? and do you have fresh premium gas? and are you getting good spark?

• Ga426owner

Posted July 28, 2006 - 07:35 AM

Is the hot start plunger stuck? Remove the plastic nut on the carb to see

-

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted July 28, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Is the hot start plunger stuck? Remove the plastic nut on the carb to see

-

i had the hot start plunger out completely last time i cleaned the carb and it seemed fine. it doesn't stay out...which isn't a problem cause i can't get the bike started to get it hot :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 28, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Are you positive the valves are all in check?

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted July 28, 2006 - 07:57 AM

i measured em each three times....i was really nervous about doing it myself cause i had never done it and had to go buy feeler gauges but it all seemed fine

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2006 - 08:03 AM

You wouldn't need a new starter jet, but you might need to clear it. It could have varnished over while it sat.

Verify your spark, then clean out the carb.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted July 28, 2006 - 08:05 AM

i know i'm getting spark, just now how much. i have no way to test that...which i want to get ontop of. As for jetting a guy at my local parts shop says he has one similar with the same pipe on it and he runs stock jetting. where i have jetting for aftermarket piping...so i think i may re do that as well....start over i guess

thanks dudes

• exIT

Posted July 28, 2006 - 05:39 PM

If you have had the carb apart make sure that you replaced the plate on the slide in the correct orientation. It fits both ways (the hole should be at the bottom) and apparently is a common problem. So common that I thought I would never do it myself until I didn't pay enough attention this week when I cleaned my carb and then couldn't get the bike to run.

I didn't check your previous posts so maybe this problem has already been addressed.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted July 29, 2006 - 01:41 PM

If you have had the carb apart make sure that you replaced the plate on the slide in the correct orientation. It fits both ways (the hole should be at the bottom) and apparently is a common problem. So common that I thought I would never do it myself until I didn't pay enough attention this week when I cleaned my carb and then couldn't get the bike to run.

I didn't check your previous posts so maybe this problem has already been addressed.

no it hasn't been addressed, thanks

• tammie

Posted July 30, 2006 - 06:15 AM

check ignition coil.......once my bike wouldn't start, i went over everything then decided to take ingnition coil off, disconnect the connection clean it and reconnect tape it up and water proof it adn its started right after that.......

• mpl239

Posted July 30, 2006 - 11:24 AM

exIT, good call, I had the same issue, pointed out by Burned, the TT jetting expert. I was able to get it to run by having the idle speed set up and I also had a #50 pilot jet in it. Might be a quick test in there, turn up your idle speed and richen the pilot circuit, see what happens, if it starts and runs, then take it apart to fix properly.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 04, 2006 - 10:16 AM

well i got her to start and she's runnin like a dream...i've one happy pappy to be able to ride again.

but now..... :thumbsup: i'm spewing oil all over the place, it seems to be shotting up from the top of the engine because it's on the underside of the gas tank and runs down the side.....

atleast my new chain is well lubricated. what do you think it is...i remember double checking everything and making sure it was tight

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.