XR600 Electric Start?

Honda XR600R

34 replies to this topic
  • BannerUp

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:17 PM

Does anyone know if or when Honda added an electric start to the XR600? If not, does it have a manual or automatic compression release? Thanks!

• justicedone

Posted July 27, 2006 - 10:01 PM

Yeah, its called an XR650L

sorry couldnt resist...lol

:thumbsup:

• Jon-D

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:16 AM

I had asked a similar question awhile back without response. The XR-R did not come with an electric start but does have a manual decompression lever. I believe there are some aftermarket companies that sell an e-start for the XR, but it may be limited only to the 650's. Not sure if you can add an L model e-start to the R model though, has anyone tried this, and if so, how difficult?

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 28, 2006 - 01:33 PM

I have asked this question before and never gotten a good solid response. But, I did see where a guy took an XR600R and put all the e start stuff, cases and all oon it....can;t find it (the thread) though!

• rmhrc630

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:17 PM

That was me adding electric start to a 2000 model XR600R with the 628cc HRC motor. Didnt want to mess with my beaut motor - only has 1800km on it but wanted e-start badly.

No one makes a kit for estarting the 600R. I would be persuaded to start packaging the basics if enough people show interest. The probably won't though.

It can be done is the simple answer and you need a good mech and good Honda oem parts supply. Most of the bits bolt right in.

http://i26.photobuck...k2/136_3634.jpg

I am 3/4s way through having it all complete and back in the bike.

Briefly I have done the following:

Bought XR 650L side case, wiring loom, starter clutch & gears, starter button, clutch arm, all starter motor bits. All of those bits bolt right in.

Bought oem 450X battery.

Bought XL600RMG crankshaft. (this is what makes it work)

Have had modified the following - XR600R stator rewound to 250+watts, married the 650L wiring loom to the 600R wiring loom, married the starter clutch to the XR600R flywheel - both of which have been weight reduced significantly.

The parts all fit - the side case was made for the XR600 - it bolts straight in, the XR600 even has the blanks on the engine case to mount the starter motor.

You cannot adopt the 650L flwyheel (nor would you want to) as the 650L has an entirely diff electrical system and runs lower starting voltage.

Right this minute the engine is complete - with starter motor mounted and all bits go straight in.

This is a long term project - one though that has produced possibly the worlds first genuine XR600R (nee HRC 628) with electric starter. It will be completed in about a month or so - photos will be posted and a list could be done of all the bits necessary to do it if enough people show interest.

Most other conversions are just 650L motors in the 600R frame. Those who know 600s and 650s know the 650 has major mechanical differences to the 600R.

The 450X battery is simply awesome - genuine yuasa super high CCAs. It is being positioned next to the carb.

Other mods which are also getting done at the moment are:

Fitment of entire 2005 CRF450R front end - forks, brakes etc. Braking wave disk too with black excels either end.

Fitment of 2004 CRF450R FCR-MX carb - much lighter throttle pull and power response.

This is all in addition to IMS tank, setrab cooler (xrp lines), high wattage lights

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 28, 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hey there,
Glad to hear things are coming along with your project. Sounds awesome. I can't wait to see pics.

• Jon-D

Posted July 29, 2006 - 03:57 AM

seems like allot of work and money for the e-start system which is probably why no one except rmhrc630 has tried it. if you can post the details, cost, photos on how to do this modification I sure would appreciate it.

• rmhrc630

Posted July 31, 2006 - 01:54 AM

seems like allot of work and money for the e-start system which is probably why no one except rmhrc630 has tried it. if you can post the details, cost, photos on how to do this modification I sure would appreciate it.

coming soon, coming soon!!!!

just got word - motor is all back together and the thing works!!!!

all the auto decomp works perfect!!!

the 650L starter turns the high compression HRC engine over perfectly!!!!

anyone know of any US guys who have converted the XR600R? I'd like to hear from them.

how much are people prepared to pay for genuine e-start on their XR600/XR628?

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 31, 2006 - 03:43 AM

Going rate for E-start kits for XR650R is $800 for Baja Designs, and $1500 for a Joe Racer kit (which uses Honda OEM parts).

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 31, 2006 - 06:41 AM

That was me adding electric start to a 2000 model XR600R with the 628cc HRC motor. Didnt want to mess with my beaut motor - only has 1800km on it but wanted e-start badly.

No one makes a kit for estarting the 600R. I would be persuaded to start packaging the basics if enough people show interest. The probably won't though.

It can be done is the simple answer and you need a good mech and good Honda oem parts supply. Most of the bits bolt right in.

http://i26.photobuck...k2/136_3634.jpg

I am 3/4s way through having it all complete and back in the bike.

Briefly I have done the following:

Bought XR 650L side case, wiring loom, starter clutch & gears, starter button, clutch arm, all starter motor bits. All of those bits bolt right in.

Bought oem 450X battery.

Bought XL600RMG crankshaft. (this is what makes it work)

Have had modified the following - XR600R stator rewound to 250+watts, married the 650L wiring loom to the 600R wiring loom, married the starter clutch to the XR600R flywheel - both of which have been weight reduced significantly.

The parts all fit - the side case was made for the XR600 - it bolts straight in, the XR600 even has the blanks on the engine case to mount the starter motor.

You cannot adopt the 650L flwyheel (nor would you want to) as the 650L has an entirely diff electrical system and runs lower starting voltage.

Right this minute the engine is complete - with starter motor mounted and all bits go straight in.

This is a long term project - one though that has produced possibly the worlds first genuine XR600R (nee HRC 628) with electric starter. It will be completed in about a month or so - photos will be posted and a list could be done of all the bits necessary to do it if enough people show interest.

Most other conversions are just 650L motors in the 600R frame. Those who know 600s and 650s know the 650 has major mechanical differences to the 600R.

The 450X battery is simply awesome - genuine yuasa super high CCAs. It is being positioned next to the carb.

Other mods which are also getting done at the moment are:

Fitment of entire 2005 CRF450R front end - forks, brakes etc. Braking wave disk too with black excels either end.

Fitment of 2004 CRF450R FCR-MX carb - much lighter throttle pull and power response.

This is all in addition to IMS tank, setrab cooler (xrp lines), high wattage lights

SOunds great, can't wait till we see the finished project!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:02 AM

The XR-R did not come with an electric start but does have a manual decompression lever.

Pretty lame ass excuse/replacement for an estart....

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:50 AM

Doesn't the E start add about 35 pounds realistically to the XR600R after all the added stuff? I think Ill keep my kicky lever! Mine starts first kick every time anyway! Except for once when I flooded it, took three hours to get it fired again.

• rmhrc630

Posted July 31, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Doesn't the E start add about 35 pounds realistically to the XR600R after all the added stuff? I think Ill keep my kicky lever! Mine starts first kick every time anyway! Except for once when I flooded it, took three hours to get it fired again.

3 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you drown it???

Nah sniper only weighs about 7kg.

On a bike with 18 litre tank not much of an addition really.

More the whizz factor I reckon!!!

Anyone else interested in the detail of how I did it?

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 28, 2006 - 10:28 AM

Can I get as much info on the parts as possible??Please
Thanx,
Bill

• rmhrc630

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Can I get as much info on the parts as possible??Please
Thanx,
Bill

Posted Image

where do you want me to start?

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Parts list and pictures of 600R flywheel to 650L starter clutch gear adapter please.
Bill

• rmhrc630

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:24 PM

No adaptors were used in this project.

split your crankcase install XL600RMG (circa 85-86 era) crankshaft then rebuild motor.

use a XR650L starter clutch bolted to your stock flwyheel.

use XR650L wiring etc.

Use 450X battery under the seat - lop off the front airbox mount to accomodate.

this is seriously a big project and would take me a month to write everything we did down.

it feels good though having worlds only oem XR600 electric start.

I cant tell you how effeciently my bike starts. The electrics are just so ridiculously powerful on this bike.

Yesterday - about 10 degrees celcious - 2 squirts of the FCR, choke, push button, 2 seconds later engine is running and purring.

All oem Honda parts.

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:45 PM

What is the difference between XL600R and XL600RMG crankshaft? Only reason I ask is the handa fiche only shows XL600R which I have a 84 XL600R.
Bill

• rmhrc630

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:52 PM

Not sure

what bike have you got?

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 28, 2006 - 06:09 PM

I have a 1984 XL600R I have been looking at the honda parst fiche and the 93 XR650L and 84 XL600R use the same crank bearings so I am assuming all I need is the estart from 93 XR650L and use my stock XL600R flywheel on the 93 XR650L starter clutch gear set.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Poll  Show your PIG by denro

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  4,164 replies
Forums
Photo

rejetting help by hondaclist 600

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Timing Chain Guide Obliterated by JDMangelsen97

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.