06 yz450 wont go into neutral when running

5 replies to this topic
  • aedwards07

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:18 PM

Well I just cannot seem to get the bike in neutral when the bike is running.I am running Bel-Ray Thumper oil changed every ride with oil filter change every other oil change.I run About a nickels worth of play in my clutch lever(which is a works connection elite perch if that matters).I tired adding extra play in the lever and taking play away in the lever and it doesnt help the problem.As soon as I turn the bike off it will go right in neutral but will NOT go in without the bike turned off.I let a few of my riding buddys try as well and they could not get it either.Is there some sort of other adjustment I can make to let the bike go in neutral?

• jwcrf05

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:45 PM

does your bike have trouble starting when its in gear? you probably have got grooves on your pressure plate or clutch boss, which will make the bike hard to get into neutral. take off the clutch cover and dissasemble the pressure plate and clutch plates, take a look for any grooving. if there is some you will need to replace them and they aren't that expensive from yamaha, or you can go aftermarket but it will cost you a lot more.

• PK

Posted July 27, 2006 - 11:12 PM

How high is your idle set? If it's too high it will make it more difficult to find neutral. Will it go in to neutral when your rolling along? How many hours are on the bike? Like JW said, check your clutch basket for grooving.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:08 AM

I had the exact same symptoms when I fried my clutch. Pull the clutch apart and check the metal plates for warpage. They should be flat. If there is any bowing at all it will cause the clutch to hang up and not disengage. In my case I overheated the clutch and warped most of the metal plates. The fiber plates were fine.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2006 - 07:55 AM

I had the exact same symptoms when I fried my clutch. Pull the clutch apart and check the metal plates for warpage. They should be flat. If there is any bowing at all it will cause the clutch to hang up and not disengage. In my case I overheated the clutch and warped most of the metal plates. The fiber plates were fine.

Pretty much what he said. Your problem is clutch drag, and some have had some trouble with the '06 clutch. On paper, all the parts are pretty much the same as earlier models, but there may have been some revision by a vendor or something.

Anyway, warped, even slightly warped, clutch plates are the first thing you should look for. After that, uneven springs, and then a grooved basket and/or boss.

• aedwards07

Posted July 28, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Checked the clutch last night.Plates are not warped and everything is in spec.THe inner hub and basket do not have groves big enough to get my finger nail snagged in them either.I threw a new set of springs in it upon assembly to see if that helps.

BTW the bike has 84 hours on it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.