Looking to buy a WR - What year?

10 replies to this topic
  • Scripts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 04:52 PM

Hello from a soon to be WR owner,

I have a few questions around purchasing a WR:

What should I look for in a used WR450?
What years are best? (Pre 05)
Any routine maintenance that I should look for to have been completed?

Thanks in advance for everyones help,

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 27, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Pre 05? No question about it.... an 04 hands down.... I'd like to find one guy on here who would disagree with me.. The 04 addressed all of the issues that the 03 had (the famous woodruff key snafu,starter problems and a some isolated clutch issues)... The 04 is a winner in my book....

• acauto

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:22 PM

I currently have an 05 wr450 that I am selling for $3500. It has a new rear s12 tire 1200miles and it has a skid plate, jd jet kit, radiator guards, bark busters, trail tech computer, new renthal sprockets, did x ring chain the oil has been changed every 150 miles with the two cool additive had valves adjusted end of last season they were perfect. I don't have pics up on the forum yet, but I can e-mail you pics if you send me your e-mail address. or i can just posts some pics here if your intrested

• ARin

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:49 PM

04 is a winner....but if you can afford the previous posters 05, then that is a very good option.

CONDITION is a huge factor for me when buying bikes. I will favor an OLDER, EXCELLENT condition bike over a NEWER, but rapped out bike.

• Turismo

Posted July 27, 2006 - 09:27 PM

Pre '05, yeah, the '04 has to be the best for sure.
No real issues and still got a fairly good fuel tank capacity stock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scripts

Posted July 28, 2006 - 02:42 AM

I currently have an 05 wr450 that I am selling for $3500. It has a new rear s12 tire 1200miles and it has a skid plate, jd jet kit, radiator guards, bark busters, trail tech computer, new renthal sprockets, did x ring chain the oil has been changed every 150 miles with the two cool additive had valves adjusted end of last season they were perfect. I don't have pics up on the forum yet, but I can e-mail you pics if you send me your e-mail address. or i can just posts some pics here if your intrested

PM'ed you.

Thanks

• Summit

Posted July 28, 2006 - 04:52 AM

I really can't comment on anything other than the 05 cuz I haven't ridden them but I can tell you that the 05 is an excellent bike too. I bought one new and it's been an amazing bike, totally reliable so far and SO much fun to ride.

• Fryboy

Posted July 28, 2006 - 05:24 AM

It truly amazes me that you can get an 05 for 3500 bucks. That just seems like crazy talk !!! I digress, living in Cal has its upsides too

• getfast125

Posted July 28, 2006 - 11:55 AM

$3500 is a great price, no offense, isn't 1200 miles considered alot? How much racing has the bike seen?

I've also been looking for a WR and came across a brand new one with a bunch of extras going for $4200, I'm trying to have it shipped out here.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 28, 2006 - 12:32 PM

$3500 is a great price, no offense, isn't 1200 miles considered alot? How much racing has the bike seen?

I've done 1200 miles on a three day weekend, that's low mileage IMO.. $3500.00 is a great deal for an 05.. You should buy it.. :thumbsup:

• ARin

Posted July 28, 2006 - 12:57 PM

I've done 1200 miles on a three day weekend,:thumbsup:

indeed...i havent done nearly that many miles at a single time...i think my record for a three day weekend is around 350...but all the same...you can put 1200 miles on a bike pretty darn quickly.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.